kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
9:54 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
[Mod comment: this and many other posts moved to start a new topic(TR)]

I'm leaning very hard on getting myself an electric kettle.
There are so many times I need a large-ish amount of boiling water for this or that - not necessarily for tea though.
Does anyone have one brand that they really like?

There are so many times I need a large-ish amount of boiling water for this or that - not necessarily for tea though.
I bought a cheapo Hamilton Beach for about $20 and I like it quite well. I generally only need it for a cup of tea but it holds a significantly larger amount of water (maybe 1.5 liters?). I got it at Walmart, I will look to see if I can find a link for it.

Edit: Mine is the 1 liter but it makes more boiling water than I need and does so quickly. There is another one that is 1.2 liter for the same price.

hamilton beach electric kettle - Walmart.com

I have two kettles - one is my everyday one, I got it at ALDI at least five years ago, and it wasn’t expensive at all, and it’s been grand - gets used 2-3 times a day.

Unfortunately, ALDI’s stuff comes and goes, so any given month/year, they may not have it available. It’s their Ambiano brand, and I’m sure I paid well under $20 for it.

My second one is our travel one, bought while we were traveling. It’s probably just a year or so newer than the ALDI one, and it’s a Chefman, glass body with a frankly disturbing blue light that illuminates the water as it’s heating. Looks like Walmart still carry them at just under $40 - I think I paid around $25 for mine.

If you want to boil a largish amount of water after looking at capacity the most important thing to look for is the power in Watts.
The higher the better.
Large amounts of water take a surprisingly long time to boil in comparison to small amounts.

Course that depends how many amps you have available at the socket you intend to plug it into.
I believe in America it's 15amps on a standard socket with some people having 20amp sockets in the kitchen for heavier draw items.

If you want to go for fast I find Ninja do a good job.
But cheap kettles are good too and you don't cry when they break 😂

If you want to boil a largish amount of water after looking at capacity the most important thing to look for is the power in Watts.
The higher the better.
Large amounts of water take a surprisingly long time to boil in comparison to small amounts.

Course that depends how many amps you have available at the socket you intend to plug it into.
I believe in America it's 15amps on a standard socket with some people having 20amp sockets in the kitchen for heavier draw items.

If you want to go for fast I find Ninja do a good job.
But cheap kettles are good too and you don't cry when they break 😂
I've been looking around and the electric kettles for sale in these parts only hold 1.7 to 1.8 liters.
I was thinking I'd like a larger capacity pot.
:facepalm:
Why not buy a regulation-stove top kettle?
That's 2.5 liter ...
I want this for when I clear out my kitchen sink drains.
The plumber has pounded into my head "DO NOT use chemical drain cleaners! Just use baking soda and vinegar then flush with boiling water."
I did this today and wielding a large pot of boiling water isn't all that safe.
On top of all of that, our Natural Gas is cheaper than our Electric.

I've been looking around and the electric kettles for sale in these parts only hold 1.7 to 1.8 liters.
That's 2.5 liter ...
The plumber has pounded into my head "DO NOT use chemical drain cleaners! Just use baking soda and vinegar then flush with boiling water."
Ahhh. Now I understand.

An electric kettle will boil water faster than your stovetop. It depends on your need for speed. In my case I just wanted a cup of tea and didn't want to clutter my burners, as a stovetop kettle would likely live there.

That's 2.5 liter ...

Stove top will likely lead you to a larger capacity kettle more easily but they do tend to take a lot longer to boil.
If slows fine with you then that would be the way to go.

I'd keep in mind because they have a wide base to make the capacity bigger and the water at the very bottom of the kettle isn't something you want to make drinks with, you will have to over fill it to get that one or two mugs worth. If you're not thinking of using it for drinks then no worries!

Domestic kettles usually have an absolute max of 2litres.
If you want something bigger look at online catering suppliers.
B&B's, churches, schools here usually have a very large kettle that's in between the domestic versions available and a full on urn.
Not sure how they do tea and coffee in those settings over the pond?! Perhaps everyone only has coffee in those places?

This is mine. I use it a lot at Christmas when there's a lot of pots of stuff to boil and a lot more people wanting tea!

IMG_4030.jpeg

They usually have a keep warm button (this one does) so you can keep the water hot and drinks flowing when arrivals are staggered.

One last mention if used for tea, water kept hot is adequate for large parties but enjoying tea to its upmost requires freshly boiled water.
I know that's not what you want it for but I would hate for you venture into tea making and have a sub par experience!

That's 2.5 liter ...
You might find that just under 2 liters is quite enough to do the trick. I had to clear my drains of some nasty drain gnats not too long ago doing the same thing. The 1 liter electric kettle I have comes to boil in about 90 seconds. I brought it to boil, cleared one side of the double sink, then brought it to boil again and did the other side. If you get a 1.8 liter you may not have to bring it to a boil twice. The amount of electricity it's going to use is minuscule. The great thing is, if you don't use it regularly, you can put it with your other stuff in the garage when not in use. Just a thought. But, if you are a tea drinker like me, you will find it quite handy to keep on the counter next to the coffee maker.

You might find that just under 2 liters is quite enough to do the trick. I had to clear my drains of some nasty drain gnats not too long ago doing the same thing. The 1 liter electric kettle I have comes to boil in about 90 seconds. I brought it to boil, cleared one side of the double sink, then brought it to boil again and did the other side. If you get a 1.8 liter you may not have to bring it to a boil twice. The amount of electricity it's going to use is minuscule. The great thing is, if you don't use it regularly, you can put it with your other stuff in the garage when not in use. Just a thought. But, if you are a tea drinker like me, you will find it quite handy to keep on the counter next to the coffee maker.
Since I have well water that is high in iron and calcium, I stay away from kettles because it is hard to clean the calcium buildup . I just use a sauce pan that I can wash normally each time I use it to avoid any buildup. We drink filtered water but I could use filtered water for the kettle I suppose. That is just another set of issues.

Yeah, for my morning cup of Tea, I use the Keurig.
I only want the kettle to pour down the drain.
and blades , thank you for that, I hadn't thought about trying to clean out a stove top kettle, that may be tricky.
I found an electric one at Wally World for the same price as the stove top one, under $13USD.

Yeah, for my morning cup of Tea, I use the Keurig.
I only want the kettle to pour down the drain.
and blades , thank you for that, I hadn't thought about trying to clean out a stove top kettle, that may be tricky.
I found an electric one at Wally World for the same price as the stove top one, under $13USD.
I have a one cup coffee maker (iCoffee, similar to Keurig) but the problem is I found my tea was tasting a little bit like coffee since my husband usually has several cups of Joe through it (I have 1 cup of coffee and 1 cup of tea). After that I was nuking the hot water for my tea with the bag in the cup, but I found that it splattered in the microwave and was a pain to clean (it's an over the stove microwave and I am short so I have to use a stepstool to clean it). The electric kettle is just easier all the way around and it heats to a boil so fast!

JAS_OH1 same in our household. I've found that when I go to make my cuppa, I'll run just water through the smallest cup size (it has three choices), dump that out, and run it again on the largest setting. Double duty: a pre-warmed cup and a cup of tea that tastes like tea.
Funny, I just now timed the Keurig to make the largest size cup of just hot water for Tea: 50seconds.

JAS_OH1 same in our household. I've found that when I go to make my cuppa, I'll run just water through the smallest cup size (it has three choices), dump that out, and run it again on the largest setting. Double duty: a pre-warmed cup and a cup of tea that tastes like tea.
Funny, I just now timed the Keurig to make the largest size cup of just hot water for Tea: 50seconds.
Tea out of a coffee machine? Go straight to jail 😂

But you'll find the water in your electric kettle will get much, much hotter. Boiling hot. I have a Keurig in my pantry that I've had for over a decade. We used it before we got the iCoffee and kept it for a backup in case the iCoffee stops working. The iCoffee doesn't boil water either but it gets hot enough to brew. Anyway, my tea is much stronger with boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom