Kettle recommendations

But you'll find the water in your electric kettle will get much, much hotter. Boiling hot. I have a Keurig in my pantry that I've had for over a decade. We used it before we got the iCoffee and kept it for a backup in case the iCoffee stops working. The iCoffee doesn't boil water either but it gets hot enough to brew. Anyway, my tea is much stronger with boiling water.
That's good to know!
I have one cup of medium roast coffee and then one cup of Peppermint Tea in the mornings.

Tea out of a coffee machine? Go straight to jail 😂
Our last Keurig, that’s all we used it for. We had occasional k-cups of tea, but 99% of the time, we just used it like a kettle, to squirt near-boiling water over a teabag or loose tea.

We also use a small Mr. Coffee automatic drip coffee machine…for tea. We either throw a few teabags in there (no filter) or loose tea (with a filter), fill it up with water, and away it goes. We’ve done that for decades - probably the only people who’ve owned four or five Mr. Coffees that never saw a bean of it in their lives.

Looks like this, using PG Tips:
1724956920432.jpeg

That’s just for the nightly cup; morning gets the kettle treatment.

But you'll find the water in your electric kettle will get much, much hotter. Boiling hot.
Very good point. The Keurig was something I put up with because of the convenience. It was always on, so what?…20 seconds to get hot water into the cup, versus something like 2-1/2 minutes for the kettle to heat up?

But the Keurig really did make substandard tea. The water comes out at something like 194F, so well below boiling, cools on its way out of the machine, cools further as soon as it hits the room temp mug, and then sits for four minutes, cooling even more. Most days, after the four minute steep was up, I’d pop it in the microwave for another 30, just because I like my hot beverages to be flesh-meltingly hot.

That, and it makes a big difference in the taste. Really hot water doesn’t brew up as nice a cup as boiling water.

Our last Keurig, that’s all we used it for. We had occasional k-cups of tea, but 99% of the time, we just used it like a kettle, to squirt near-boiling water over a teabag or loose tea.

We also use a small Mr. Coffee automatic drip coffee machine…for tea. We either throw a few teabags in there (no filter) or loose tea (with a filter), fill it up with water, and away it goes. We’ve done that for decades - probably the only people who’ve owned four or five Mr. Coffees that never saw a bean of it in their lives.

View attachment 117988

Very good point. The Keurig was something I put up with because of the convenience. It was always on, so what?…20 seconds to get hot water into the cup, versus something like 2-1/2 minutes for the kettle to heat up?

But the Keurig really did make substandard tea. The water comes out at something like 194F, so well below boiling, cools on its way out of the machine, cools further as soon as it hits the room temp mug, and then sits for four minutes, cooling even more. Most days, after the four minute steep was up, I’d pop it in the microwave for another 30, just because I like my hot beverages to be flesh-meltingly hot.

That, and it makes a big difference in the taste. Really hot water doesn’t brew up as nice a cup as boiling water.
Huh, I just did another test of our Keurig - 167°F

JAS_OH1 my DH is no longer allowed caffeine. Well, I should say he can have 1 cup per day and then I got him on a brand of decafe that he enjoys, but no tea for him either, unless he's not feeling well, then he'll take a cup of my Peppermint tea.
We had that restriction for MrsT for years, that’s what moved her to drinking decaf tea, and there are some very good varieties out there now - most of the British brands (PG Tips, Twinings, etc) have decaf these days.

She’s allowed moderate amounts of caffeine now, but we both still drink decaf in the afternoons and evenings.

JAS_OH1 my DH is no longer allowed caffeine. Well, I should say he can have 1 cup per day and then I got him on a brand of decafe that he enjoys, but no tea for him either, unless he's not feeling well, then he'll take a cup of my Peppermint tea.
I've got my DH on half caff. Eventually I'll probably change that to decaffeinated. I have full strength for me.

View attachment 117988

I’m quite happy to drink tea in almost any state but a lot of people have a very precise idea of how brewed it should be and exactly how much milk should be used.
To the extent when there are workmen here I’ll brew it and sugar it but will put the milk on the tray so they can add it themselves.

That and some biscuits can be the difference between a good job done in time and a bad one 😆

I’m quite happy to drink tea in almost any state but a lot of people have a very precise idea of how brewed it should be and exactly how much milk should be used.
To the extent when there are workmen here I’ll brew it and sugar it but will put the milk on the tray so they can add it themselves.

That and some biscuits can be the difference between a good job done in time and a bad one 😆
Ahhh yeah, I know a lot of people who drink tea plain. I'm for honey and cinnamon in mine but no milk.

But you'll find the water in your electric kettle will get much, much hotter. Boiling hot. I have a Keurig in my pantry that I've had for over a decade. We used it before we got the iCoffee and kept it for a backup in case the iCoffee stops working. The iCoffee doesn't boil water either but it gets hot enough to brew. Anyway, my tea is much stronger with boiling water.
Keurig, like many coffee makers heats water to the ideal 192 degrees. Close to boiling but not quite there. Normal for a coffee maker. Our Keurig makes 192 degree coffee every time.

Back
Top Bottom