1/2 cup French lentils
2 TB unsalted butter
1 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into rings
1 cup long-grain white rice or white basmati rice, rinsed well
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
Kosher salt, to taste

Directions
Pick over the lentils for stones (not that I’ve ever found any), then rinse and boil (uncovered) for 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Using a skillet that has a cover, set it over medium heat and melt the butter with the oil. Add the onion slices, turn the burner down to medium-low, then cover and cook for 15 minutes. Give it a little stir every so often.

Next, add the rice, turn the heat back up to medium, and toast the rice for 1-2 minutes, stirring quite often. Add the lentils and the stock and stir well to combine.

Bring the mixture to a simmer, then cover and cook for another 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Recipe based on one from Chris Kimball’s The Cook’s Bible

IMG_9460.jpeg

Lentil-rice-onion dish served alongside a pork cutlet with an onion sauce.

When I see rice and lentils together I immediately think vegan kedgeree; a vegan version of kedgeree with smoked fish, which is an Anglo Indian breakfast dish. Or kitcheri which is an Indian dish of rice and lentils.

Of course this is neither! It's a simple combination of ingredients which I am sure is a rather comforting dish. But I think Chris Kimball might have missed a trick or two here. Well possibly...

What is under the lentils and rice in your photo?

Why, just because they’re on the same plate? Not sure I’m following, as the sauce goes with the pork, not the lentil-onion dish.
It's simply that if this were a published recipe with a photo (which I suppose it is), the convention would be to write: photo shows the onions served with... unless it is perfectly obvious from the photo what the accompaniment is. If it was chips or something or salad then no need. But in this case it's not obvious.

And if what it's served with has a link then it's sensible to add it. It's a convention but makes sense in case people wonder what it is... as I did!

I really would prefer not to do that, if possible - to me, it strongly implies the two are mated, and it would then make me wonder, “Well…where’s the recipe link to the pork?”

I could have just as easily served the pork with a mustard sauce…would I need a link to the mustard sauce?

If it’s too confusing, I can just remove the sauce recipe, I nearly didn’t enter it anyway.

You could simply say 'shown here served with pork and onion sauce'. and add a link to the sauce if you wish. Links are good for the forum I think as they increase Web traffic..

Informing the viewer what they are looking at if it's not obvious is the important thing.

Sorry. Should have explained it better in my former post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom