Making Vanilla Extract

Flavourgirl

Local time
8:29 AM
Hello, this is my first post here. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I want to make vanilla extract. Does anyone have a recommendation on a brand of vanilla beans? Grade B? Thank you!

Not a brand, but organic and buy from sone place that has a high sales volume so they are nice and fresh, and not dried out and all but useless.

The beans should look plump and be pliable, and the insides should be moist.

Store unused wrapped and tightly sealed in a bag.

I used grade B and vodka.
chop the beans into 3" lengths, split open.
recycled glass jar.
wait.
shake once a week.

takes about 2 months to get a nice dark color&flavor -

here's the kicker . . . some time back one of the cooking mags did a taste testing.
most people preferred the artificial vanilla over 'the real thing'
hmmmm, , , ,

I used grade B and vodka.
chop the beans into 3" lengths, split open.
recycled glass jar.
wait.
shake once a week.

takes about 2 months to get a nice dark color&flavor -

here's the kicker . . . some time back one of the cooking mags did a taste testing.
hmmmm, , , ,
I'd be circumspect about that outcome too. Thanks for the info.

hmmmm, , , ,
Hmmm - you'd probably get the same result with a blind taste testing of Hellman's/Kraft mayo and the real thing. Or a McDs and a homemade Wayguu burger :hyper: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I digress; your best vanilla beans come from Madagascar, no question about it, even though the vanilla orchid is native to Mexico, Madagascar has the perfect climate and environment for vanilla-from-heaven. However, you choose what ever your budget allows for.

Back
Top Bottom