Mexican shrimp cocktail

Local time
3:20 PM
Mod.edit: first few posts moved to form a new topic (MG).

I fancy trying this recipe but I’m not familiar with the ingredient listed as ‘tomato and clam juice cocktail.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

I’m pretty sure this is the jobby but wanted to check.

IMG_2537.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've often thought about using V8 for shrimp cocktail sauce instead of, or maybe in addition to the ketchup we use to make our own. Think I'd skip the clamato.

I combined avos and shrimp in a challenge. One of the best shrimp cocktails we've ever had. Made a whole meal for us.

Recipe - Mexican shrimp cocktail/gazpacho (sort of) with saffron

I've often thought about using V8 for shrimp cocktail sauce instead of, or maybe in addition to the ketchup we use to make our own. Think I'd skip the clamato.

I combined avos and shrimp in a challenge. One of the best shrimp cocktails we've ever had. Made a whole meal for us.

It is an excellent sounding recipe.
But I’m curious to try Clamato. It doesn’t sound good to me but it sells so 🤷‍♀️
Maybe I’ll buy it and try it before committing my prawns to a clamato grave 😂

Last edited:
It is isn’t it but I only need half so if it’s any good I’ll freeze the other half.
I don’t like that it contains monosodium glutamate.
Oh. I didn't look after ingredients. I hate the stuff. I seem to be a super taster when it comes to MSG. I immediately taste it in anything and detest it. It's like umami with dirty boots on thrust in my face... and for me it eclipses the flavour of anything else in the product/dish. So many times I've bought things thinking they looked good and then tasted and thought oh no it has MSG in it. And sure enough, it always does.

This product looks much better. No sugar or MSG and mixed with V8 could be very good I think for that Mexican shrimp cocktail SandwichShortOfAPicnic.

Clam Juice 236ml| Snow's | Buy Online | American Food & Ingredients | UK

Last edited:
I’ve even cleared all my cookies etc and still get this -

View attachment 119247
Heyho now you’ve shown me the image I can just google it 😊
I feel like I’ve somehow betrayed my principles, helping someone get a bottle of clam juice.

Really, now…how many clams you gotta squeeze to fill that bottle?!

I fancy trying this recipe but I’m not familiar with the ingredient listed as ‘tomato and clam juice cocktail.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
Errrmmm... I'm thinking, because I ate something very similar in Mexico City and, whilst I can "picture"the flavour, I have to say that clam juice is pretty unique.
So you could go and buy a kilo of clams/cockles, cook them with some aromatics and a splash of white wine, eat them and save the liquor.
( Not even vaguely practical)
Use the Clamato - yep, never mind the MSG, CIA, FBI,MI5, it'll probably do the trick.
IF you can find just clam juice, then great - combine it with tomato juice.
I wondered about Fish Sauce, and also Fish Stock, but they're really not the same.

Back
Top Bottom