Mexican shrimp cocktail

Me too!
I’ve already copy n pasted the link into my notes!

Quick question on the lime juice.
A lot of the Mexican prawn cocktail recipe’s are very vague about how much lime juice you use to prevent the avocado browning but lime juice is a very strong flavour so how much should you use?

Me too!
I’ve already copy n pasted the link into my notes!

Quick question on the lime juice.
A lot of the Mexican prawn cocktail recipe’s are very vague about how much lime juice you use to prevent the avocado browning but lime juice is a very strong flavour so how much should you use?
Well Rick says juice of one lime in the recipe above. But do you mean to keep the avocado from browning before you mix it in? If so then I just squirt a little to cover the exposed surfaces. So depends how much avocado you are using really.

Well Rick says juice of one lime in the recipe above. But do you mean to keep the avocado from browning before you mix it in? If so then I just squirt a little to cover the exposed surfaces. So depends how much avocado you are using really.

Yes they always say mix in lime juice to prevent the avocado from browning and never say how much.

Like in Ricks recipe. It requires 1 lime and says to make the sauce with it but also to coat the avocado.
I always look at it and think how much lime do I need to take away from the sauce to coat the avocado or am I supposed to use more lime juice.

Tis a bit too vague for me. Especially if the avocado is cubed. Thats a lot of lime juice.

How much lemon/lime did you use?
That was 5 years ago. Like me asking you "how many prawns were on your plate on 7th October, 2019?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Not being mean - just pulling your leg.
Limes (well we call them lemons in Spanish) are all different sizes, and some are juicier than others. The key is taste, taste, taste. Maybe the juice of 1 lime is enough; maybe you need 2. The prawn cocktails we made for the wedding were for 120 people, so we probably made the sauce first, then tasted it, maybe add a bit of lime juice, then plated and added a squeeze more. There's never a perfect amount, but Rick Stein's "1 lime" sounds ok to me.

Back
Top Bottom