Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Stove

I had to get used to different cuts, going to anglo saxon countries and/or their colonies.
Mainland Europe cuts differently.
Including of Spain & Poetugal so I'm sure karadekoolaid will chime in as well.
Picana, secreto...
I have spent quite a lot of time looking up whatever cut I’ve picked up in Spain and often not coming up with a decent answer. In the end I found the answer ‘If in doubt slow cook it’ 😆

What surprised me most was how much tougher a lot of their meat is because they slaughter a bit later than we do in the UK.

20-30 years ago there where local butcher shops and they had "real butchers" that knew their meats and how to cut it , but sadly today all we have is 3-4 giant corps that precut most meats and send it out to our supermarkets in big sections and in there what we have is what i call "meat cutters" not butchers and they don't know a prime rib from a flank steak , i have even seen some weird looking steak being passed off as a T-bone of all things , that was at our local market , i grabbed it and opened the door to where the guy was wrapping meat in plastic wrap and threw it at him and told him "oh hell no don't even try to sell this crap as T-bone " and walked away
never saw whatever cut that was in the meat case again . i say we are paying for it, don't let them cheat you

i grabbed it and opened the door to where the guy was wrapping meat in plastic wrap and threw it at him and told him "oh hell no don't even try to sell this crap as T-bone " and walked away
I’ve gotten in quite a few heated discussions with the Kroger “butchers,” but I’ve yet to throw a steak at them. :laugh:

Sometimes it appears life is listening to you and likes to have a little fun.
After the conversation yesterday about a rack of ribs in the UK usually meaning what you call baby back ribs and that over here spare ribs are pretty much always sold cut into individual ribs I had a surprise.

Mr SSOAP picked the three racks I ordered from the butcher on Thursday and put them in the bottom of the fridge, they were mixed up with a kilo of chicken thigh fillets, a kilo of pork and a kilo of pork fat but I could still see from the tail end poking out that they were BIG for baby back ribs…
IMG_3756.jpeg

Never happened to me EVER before but yep I got spare ribs in one piece!!
Of course I did, I said yesterday it doesn’t really happen here so life laughed and here we are 😆
Looking forward to it.

So yes you can fit a rack of spare ribs in the Woodfire XL. Using the rib rack four of the hefty buggers 😂

That's the Brazilian name; over here it's called Punta Trasera. Everything is different here, and butchers cut the meat in their own particular way. Flank steak is called skirt here; no-one knows what a Porterhouse or T-bone is... it's just crazy!
Here they are convinced porterhouse has no bone in it....
And they try to sell Y-bone without the fillet part

[Edited to say: that should obviously be T-bone]

Last edited:
now thats a nice looking slab of spare ribs !!! there is a peice of back bone that i always remove before smoking them , you will need to remove it so that you will be able to cut the ribs apart at that end . i just find it then follow along it with a sharp knife and smoke it next to the ribs
looking at the picture i think on those ribs its runs from the end to about rib number 5
these bones are always little different in length

Back
Top Bottom