1.5 kgs onions, sliced as thinly as possible
900 gms brown sugar
2 tbsps molasses/treacle/pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp green peppercorns
2 tsps red wine vinegar
200 mls water
1 tsp salt

Method:
  • Place all the ingredients into a large pan. Heat on high to begin with, stirring frequently. The onions will release liquid and the sugar will melt.
  • Now lower the temperature to "low" and allow the onion mixture to simmer, very gently, for about 90 minutes (it may take more). Stir frequently to avoid burning the onions on the bottom.
  • Once your onions are dark brown (but not burned) and the "confiture" has thickened, ladle the mixture into sterlised jars and store.
  • Delicious with BBQ, strong cheeses, ham and chicken. Makes around 5, 230cc jars.
Onion Confiture 1.jpg
Onion Confiture 2.jpg

Last edited:
@karadekoolaid what is the yield on this recipe?
Would adding cooked Bacon to this be inappropriate?
The 1.5 kgs ( 3.3 lbs) of onion yields 5 jars at 230cc (7.5-8 ounces)
If you want to add bacon to it, be my guest - although I have got a recipe for bacon jam somewhere!

Some time in the 90's onion jam became all the rage. Your recipe is much more interesting.

In the ingredients you list 2 tbsps molasses/treacle/pomegranate molasses. I presume you mean only one of these? Pomegranate molasses has a distinct tart taste which the others don't, so i wonder if they can be substituted without a significant change to the flavour?

I love the use if the green peppercorns here - such an underused ingredient.

I presume you mean only one of these? Pomegranate molasses has a distinct tart taste which the others don't, so i wonder if they can be substituted without a significant change to the flavour?
I should have written, perhaps, treacle or molasses or pomegranate molasses. Just getting lazy in my old age.
2 tbsps only, of whichever you decide to use.
When I formulated the recipe, 15 years ago, I didn't even know pomegranate molasses existed; I discovered the product just 4 months ago,at a Lebanese restaurant. I used it in this recent lot and, to be honest, I think it works even better than the others. Just a touch of acidity to offset the sweetness of the onions.

I should have written, perhaps, treacle or molasses or pomegranate molasses. Just getting lazy in my old age.
2 tbsps only, of whichever you decide to use.
When I formulated the recipe, 15 years ago, I didn't even know pomegranate molasses existed; I discovered the product just 4 months ago,at a Lebanese restaurant. I used it in this recent lot and, to be honest, I think it works even better than the others. Just a touch of acidity to offset the sweetness of the onions.
Yes. As I surmised, it adds a tart note. Very nice.

I've used pomegranate molasses for years. It's a very useful product in all manner of recipes both sweet and savoury. I also use pomegranate poowder.

It's good with lentils because it contrasts so well with their earthy slightly smoky notes. You might like this:Recipe - Lentils with Spinach, Tahini and Pomegranate Molasses

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom