Recipe Paneer Do Piaza ( Indian cheese with onions)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Staff member
Local time
8:22 PM
Ingredients: (serves 2)
100 gms paneer, cubed
2 tbsps ghee
4 small red onions
4 cloves garlic
1"piece of fresh ginger
1 green chile
1 medium tomato, diced
1 bay leaf or cinnamon leaf (tej patta)
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp full fat yoghurt
Salt to taste
Water as needed

Method:
  • In a medium pan, add the ghee and then gently fry the paneer until barely browned . Remove and set aside.
  • Mince 2 of the onions, the garlic, the ginger and the chile. Add to the pan, along with the bay/cinnamon leaf, and fry on a medium low heat until soft.
  • Cut the remaining onions into quarters, then into quarters again. Add them and the diced tomato to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes.
  • Now add all the spices, a ½ tsp of salt and stir for about 30 seconds. Add a splash of water if the mixtures becomes too dry.
  • Add about 1/2 cup of water and the paneer and raise the heat to medium. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
  • Remove from the heat and add 1/2 cup of water. Stir the yoghurt in vigorously to avoid separating the yoghurt.
  • Return the pan to the heat and warm through for 5 minutes.
  • Garnish with coriander leaf and serve with Basmati rice.
Paneer do piaza.jpg

Onions twice! Of course, I love this because it's vegetarian, Indian and really rather low in calories. But it's a comfort dish too. A little more chilli for me please!

Can you get paneer easily in Venezuela?

Can you get paneer easily in Venezuela?
You can put as much chile in it as you want!
I made this for the three of us, and while my wife's "chile"tolerance has risen by about 500% over the last 40 years, I didn't want to knock her out.
Paneer in Venezuela, I discovered, is called Requesón. Basically, it's raw curds pressed into a hard cheese. The Indian Embassy people thought it was great.

Back
Top Bottom