Review Peanut butter, how do you like yours?

Local time
3:39 PM
I just buy what ever is available and agree with the others; I don't really notice any difference between cheap and expensive.
What I do avoid is any peanut butter that declares "100% Organic" on the label, because that's usually about 3 times more expensive!

It's a lovely food item.

Sometimes I like the 'crunchy' version, but I lean towards the 'creamy'. I prefer buying the Lidl brand, whichever it is, as the taste is really good, or suits me.

At a point half a year or longer ago, I was obsessed by peanut butter, would go through a 400g jar in 3 days...but that has changed, I don't do that any more.

I did not taste as many brands and compared them, to be able to distinguish or have a discussion.

We buy this brand:

IMG_9027.jpeg

Amazon

IMG_9028.jpeg

Walmart

Creamy for MrsT, crunchy for me.

Yes, it’s more expensive, but I like the ingredients, which read as follows:

Ingredients: Peanuts

That’s it.

We eat a lot of peanut butter here, both of us. It’s good for lunch, good for a snack, good as an ingredient (we had a challenge a while back with peanut butter), and good to plop down on the couch with and eat straight from the jar with a spoon.

We buy this brand:

View attachment 117411
Amazon

View attachment 117412
Walmart

Creamy for MrsT, crunchy for me.

Yes, it’s more expensive, but I like the ingredients, which read as follows:

Ingredients: Peanuts

That’s it.

We eat a lot of peanut butter here, both of us. It’s good for lunch, good for a snack, good as an ingredient (we had a challenge a while back with peanut butter), and good to plop down on the couch with and eat straight from the jar with a spoon.
It's also packed with calories...

Find the different brands quite different, especially regarding the amount of oil and salt they add.
It effects the consistency dramatically and as a consequence how it will work in a recipe.
But so long as it's not a 'whole earth' pie peanut variety I'm happy.

It effects the consistency dramatically and as a consequence how it will work in a recipe.
Yes, I did find that out recently, when I made some peanut butter frosting using our usual natural peanut butter - it never did firm up. :laugh:

especially regarding the amount of oil and salt they add.
I think that’s why peanut butter sometimes gets an undeserved reputation for being unhealthy - it’s not the peanuts inasmuch as it is the palm oil…and corn syrup…and salt that so many of the mainstream makers add in.

Yes, I did find that out recently, when I made some peanut butter frosting using our usual natural peanut butter - it never did firm up. :laugh:

I think that’s why peanut butter sometimes gets an undeserved reputation for being unhealthy - it’s not the peanuts inasmuch as it is the palm oil…and corn syrup…and salt that so many of the mainstream makers add in.
I agree it's undervalued.

This article is more aimed SatNavSaysStraightOn because no doubt she'll know the real low down on this topic!

Australian supermarket peanut butter taste test: it’s better when it’s cheaper

Personally I like mine thick and salty, I'm not a 'natural' peanut butter fan.
I'm not adverse to having it with jam either but the one that I love that grosses people out most is on a marmite flavoured rice cake. Yum.

What's your favourite brand and how do you enjoy it?
If I am going to eat peanut butter (which really isn't very often), I prefer a mixed nut butter with only about half peanuts, 1/4 pecans, and 1/4 cashews, and I will just make it myself, omitting sugars, oil, and other additives. Just straight nuts and a bit of salt. I don't love peanuts to begin with. If I am making peanut butter cookies (which happens maybe once every two years), I will just buy some commercial basic peanut butter, not brand specific.

I know some people who swear by a US brand called Jiff.

Back
Top Bottom