Review Peanut butter, how do you like yours?

Nuts are always packed with calories, so are lots of foods.

I survived being in a very hostile environment because peanut butter and jam was available.

Mind you I couldn't eat either for about a year afterwards without setting off PTSD 😆
I handle product recalls and there was a US brand about 10-15 years ago that had salmonella contamination, and I had to find and destroy thousands upon thousands jars of peanut butter when it occurred. Definitely turned me off the stuff, although I wasn't eating it often before that. When I grew up it was a staple in our house, and if someone didn't like what was for dinner, they could make themselves a peanut butter sandwich. It's just the last on a list of things I would eat.

We buy creamy. Craig snacks on it with Ritz crackers sometimes. I'll have some very occasionally on apple slices or a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I prefer small amounts of cashew butter freshly made in the store once in a while for a treat. We do both like satay and there's an Asian noodle salad Craig came up with that we like that uses peanut butter. I do try to keep an unopened jar in case of hurricane.

We buy creamy. Craig snacks on it with Ritz crackers sometimes. I'll have some very occasionally on apple slices or a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I prefer small amounts of cashew butter freshly made in the store once in a while for a treat. We do both like satay and there's an Asian noodle salad Craig came up with that we like that uses peanut butter. I do try to keep an unopened jar in case of hurricane.
Love a bit of satay. It's a lovely ingredient in asian and African cooking.
Just bought my son some Ritz crackers, he has a big soft spot for them.

I have to confess that I don't like the cheap peanut butter with the sugar and salt added. So I stay away from them. I'd target post a little extra and get something I like.

There is a massive selection of peanut butter over here in the supermarkets, so getting something that's 99.99% or 100% peanuts isn't hard if you read the labels. What is a challenge is which brand to buy at which time of year. The New Zealand make I prefer doesn't stand up to Aussie summers. It becomes so thin and liquidy that you need a spoon to get it out of the jar and if you don't hold your toast or bread exactly level you'll end up with it dripping off your food. So it's a winter only one because keeping it in the fridge also doesn't work. That's the 99.99% peanut butter one. It has just enough salt in it that I don't need to add any.

The one I use in summer is a cheap organic make that's 100% peanuts. I prefer it to others with the exception of the NZ make, but it needs a tiny amount of salt adding for my tastes which is very unusual for me to say the least.

Oh, I forgot. The Thai cookbook we have recommends substituting good peanut butter for shrimp paste if you want to make your curry pastes vegan. I think I mentioned that in a recipe thread I posted.

I find that a bit odd. Shrimp paste has a definite umami flavour. Peanut butter is more creamy, toasted tasting and comforting. Seaweed with miso paste is nearer to the taste.

I find that a bit odd. Shrimp paste has a definite umami flavour. Peanut butter is more creamy, toasted tasting and comforting. Seaweed with miso paste is nearer to the taste.
Old book. I doubt miso and seaweed were that available back then. Just like Madhur Jaffrey gave substitutions back in her early cookbooks for the U. S. that were easily available.

I have to confess that I don't like the cheap peanut butter with the sugar and salt added. So I stay away from them. I'd target post a little extra and get something I like.
Quite agree.
A few years ago, I couldn't find any in the Supermarkets, so I set about making my own. Never really the same as the bought stuff, but at least I could control the salt and sugar.

"Cheap" and "organic" aren't words you hear used in the same sentence often are they! 😆
Ordinarily I'd agree.

But, there's a brand called "macro" over here in Australia that aims to make organic foods cheaper. They are pay off the Woolworth's label. https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productgroup/2024-macro-pantry-staples if you half the price you'll have the rough UK £ & p

They are very competitive priced compared to Australian prices, thankfully.

Link goes to the site but doesn't show the products.
They must be checking by ip address.

Screenshot_20240820_205947_Chrome.jpg

You might need to VPN to an Australian server to see it.

I enjoy crunchy organic peanut butter either with slices of banana on top or topped with redcurrant jelly (which, I think, is an American thing).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom