Recipe Potato & beetroot salad with smetana

An easy and pretty potato salad. Smetana is a type of sour cream from Eastern/central Europe and tends to be milder in taste than other sour cream. Feel free to substitute a sour cream of your choice. Serve warm, at room temperature or cold. This potato salad will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.

View attachment 86630

Ingredients (serves 2)
150g waxy potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
150g cooked beetroot, cut into bite size chunks
3 tbsp smetana or other sour cream
½ small red onion, finely chopped
1 heaped tbsp capers plus a splash of caper brine
1 heaped tbsp chopped fresh dill (reserve a few sprigs to garnish)
A few grinds of black pepper
Salt to taste
Chive flowers (optional) to garnish

Method
  1. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
  2. Whilst the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. Place the smetana or sour cream in a bowl and add the chopped onion, capers, caper brine, dill and black pepper. Mix well and add salt to taste.
  3. Drain the potatoes. Add the still warm potatoes and the beetroot to the dressing and mix well.
  4. Serve garnished with chive flowers and dill.

View attachment 86631
I love when the pieces are so big. And the combo of beets and potatoes - it's the bomb!

Here is what I made the other day in an attempt to discover why both SandwichShortOfAPicnic and TastyReuben's turned out redder than mine.

20240813_145456.jpg

Well as you can see its less red than my original recipe! I did use the rock bottom budget priced cooked beetroot from Morrisons though, which isn't very juicy. I now have some juicier precooked beetroot and also some raw beetroot which I will cook (in the microwave as its much faster than the oven if you just want siimple cooked beetroot). So we will see if either makes a difference.

Here is what I made the other day in an attempt to discover why both SandwichShortOfAPicnic and TastyReuben's turned out redder than mine.

View attachment 117537

Well as you can see it's less red than my original recipe! I did use the rock bottom budget priced cooked beetroot from Morrisons though, which isn't very juicy. I now have some juicier precooked beetroot and also some raw beetroot which I will cook (in the microwave as it's much faster than the oven if you just want siimple cooked beetroot). So we will see if either makes a difference.
Tis much paler isn't it. Maybe even prettier?
Interested in the microwaving of beetroot. I love fresh cooked beetroot.
How long on what power?

Tis much paler isn't it. Maybe even prettier?
Interested in the microwaving of beetroot. I love fresh cooked beetroot.
How long on what power?

About 10 to 15 minutes on high. Place in bowl with water in bottom and cover with clingfilm (pierced in a few places) or with a vented lid.

My view of vegetables is if they can be microwaved then I will microwave them.

I microwave all my vegetables without water, just covered with a microwave cover. I only boil potatoes when I am mashing them.

Back
Top Bottom