Recipe Potato salad

grumpyoldman

Local time
7:38 PM
no BBQ is complete without potato salad , this is another one of those things there is a 1000 ways to make
the basic ingredients are : potato's
mayo
onion
boiled egg
salt & black pepper
from here it can get complicated haha
some like the potato's to be lumpy , others mashed to a silky prefection, some like it with small chunks of pickel in it
it can be made with or without mustard and i'm sure a lot of other ways/things
so jump in and tell us how you do it

Depends on the day, really.
If it's a really simple day, then it's just chunks of potato ( about 1") with mayo, mustard powder, a bit of onion, touch of vinegar, that's it.
I really love eggs in the salad, on a less simple day ( :D ) so I'll add the eggs and probably make a sauce with mayo, sugar, bit of vinegar, bit more onion, and some parsley.
My absolute favourite is to add freshly cooked beetroot (beet) to the salad, black pepper, dill and a good dollop of horseradish.

The only potato salad I ever ate well into my teens was my mother's and grandmother's, boiled bite-sized chunks of potato, pretty soft, but not mushy soft, mayo, salad olives, some celery seed, a bit of yellow mustard, and chopped HB eggs, finished with a sprinkle of paprika. I still make similar sometimes, though no celery seed and I also add a bit of Marzetti's cole slaw dressing, pretty much salad cream for non U.S. members.

Now, we make several.

One is a Cajun potato salad made with leftover crawfish or shrimp boil sides - potato chunks, corn cut off the cob, chopped onion, and chopped andouille with some mayo mixed with a bit of the boiled garlic paste. Doesn't need anything else since all the ingredients are spiced well from the boil. I also use those ingredients, minus the mayo and with addition of milk and cream to make chowder.

Recipe - Mexican potato salad

Bacon Horseradish Potato Salad

I always make a little extra dressing because the above is notorious for soaking up the dressing.

We make a few other potato salads, but the above are our favorites.

Last edited:
The cold potato salad I make most is one from ATK, their Amish potato salad. It’s flavored with vinegar, mustard, and sour cream, no mayonnaise.

Besides the pungency, what I love about this recipe is that you mix up a quick concoction of most of the dressing ingredients, and as soon as the chunked potatoes are cooked, they get drained well, then tossed in some of the dressing and set aside for an hour or so. The hot potatoes really suck in all that dressing flavor - you know how some potato salads, you’ll bite into a piece of potato, and it’s ok at first, but then you get to the center of it, and it’s just bland cooked potato? This technique solves that - flavored potato all the way through. It’s worth the extra time.

medtrran49: that cajon one is a new one on me , i lived in New Orleans for 10 years but never saw that one ,
i have noticed that most of the posts favor chunky potatoes , i like silky smooth potatoes , i don't like to bite a bland boiled potato , we keep things simple just onions , mayo, mustard , salt and black pepper

medtrran49: that cajon one is a new one on me , i lived in New Orleans for 10 years but never saw that one ,
Our DD met and married ex SIL in Metairie when she lived in NOLA for college. They then lived there for several years after. His paternal aunt was the one who had the potato salad idea. His paternal family were all life long residents, as were their parents.

There's another of her recipes on here good for a BBQ.

Recipe - Linda's Coleslaw

Last edited:
One is a Cajun potato salad made with leftover crawfish or shrimp boil sides - potato chunks, corn cut off the cob, chopped onion, and chopped andouille with some mayo mixed with a bit of the boiled garlic paste. Doesn't need anything else since all the ingredients are spiced well from the boil. I also use those ingredients, minus the mayo and with addition of milk and cream to make chowder.

Recipe - Mexican potato salad

Bacon Horseradish Potato Salad

I always make a little extra dressing because the above is notorious for soaking up the dressing.

We make a few other potato salads, but the above are our favorites.
OMG. Drool!

Trying out a new potato salad recipe tomorrow because I find the traditional mayonnaise laden version a but heavy with ribs.
The Tzatziki one I tried recently was very good, fresher and cleaner tasting with a lot of cubed cucumber in it, it worked well with the rich fatty ribs.

Tomorrows version is another lighter version (I doubt in calories just in flavour) and has almonds in it which will be the first dish made in this house with nuts for over 20 years!! Exciting times! 👏 👏 👏

Trying out a new potato salad recipe tomorrow because I find the traditional mayonnaise laden version a but heavy with ribs.
The Tzatziki one I tried recently was very good, fresher and cleaner tasting with a lot of cubed cucumber in it, it worked well with the rich fatty ribs.

Tomorrows version is another lighter version (I doubt in calories just in flavour) and has almonds in it which will be the first dish made in this house with nuts for over 20 years!! Exciting times! 👏 👏 👏

I can't eat mayonnaise (mild intolerance) but I agree it makes a heavy potato salad. Yoghurt is a good alternative and saves a lot of calories. I've got various no mayonnaise potato salad recipes:

Recipe - Potato Salad with Egg, Anchovy, Pickled Lemon and Parsley
Recipe - Potato Salad with Sun-dried Tomato, Olives and Parsley
Recipe - Heritage Tomato Salad with Potatoes, Parsley & Broad Beans
Recipe - Two Salads with Olives

And gosh! This one dates from 2016 in my first faltering steps with food photography:
Recipe - Low-Fat Potato Salad

Morning Glory these are right up my street. THANKYOU.

Mind you that’s even more bookmarked recipes on my long list now 😆

I have literally just finished making potato salad and it’s alright, doesn’t blow me away.
The recipe was off and it required a lot of adjusting. I would have much rather made any of those four recipes above!

What did you put in it?
Celery, capers, tarragon, pinenuts, cider vinegar, a small amount of oil, honey, dijon mustard and halved baby potatoes.

Needed boosting a fair amount flavour wise with all of all the above apart from the potatoes.
I think the recipe is ok but the quantities they'd stated were way off.

Back
Top Bottom