SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:29 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Google doodles today...

Celebrating Rendang Doodle - Google Doodles

I caught the screen by accident and ended up in today's Google Doodle..

About the Celebrating Rendang Doodle
This Doodle celebrates rendang, a rich Indonesian stew made with coconut milk. It’s officially recognized as a national dish of Indonesia and designated as an intangible cultural heritage by the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture. On this day, the West Sumatra governor received a trophy from the Indonesian Record Museum for the biggest rendang online cooking event of all time.

Rendang is one of those dishes I've always wanted to cook, but since I don't eat meat in chunks, I've always held off, waiting for a dinner party full of carnivores :D
The spicing sounds really amazing. Do you think it would work with minced meat? Probably not...

Rendang is one of those dishes I've always wanted to cook, but since I don't eat meat in chunks, I've always held off, waiting for a dinner party full of carnivores :D
The spicing sounds really amazing. Do you think it would work with minced meat? Probably not...
I got a recipe somewhere of potato rendang.
I can only see minced meat working if you would make them into little meatballs.
I have actually done this quite a while ago

I got a recipe somewhere of potato rendang.
I can only see minced meat working if you would make them into little meatballs.
I have actually done this quite a while ago
I checked on the potato rendang recipe. It states it came from serious eats, but I can't find it back there.
I can post it via screen shots but I don't know if that is allowed

Make a prawn rendang.

Dunno
The idea of rendang is to boil everything till all liquid has evaporated and the meat then starts frying in the oil that came out of the coconut cream or milk.
You definitely don't want to do that with prawns!
Rendang is cooked in sofar that there is hardly any sauce and what's there clings to the meat.
Toughish meat is best for it.

The stage before, with still a fair bit of sauce left, is called "kalio"
That could work and you would have Udang kalio (udang means prawn).

Dunno
The idea of rendang is to boil everything till all liquid has evaporated and the meat then starts frying in the oil that came out of the coconut cream or milk.
You definitely don't want to do that with prawns!
Rendang is cooked in sofar that there is hardly any sauce and what's there clings to the meat.
Toughish meat is best for it.

The stage before, with still a fair bit of sauce left, is called "kalio"
That could work and you would have Udang kalio (udang means prawn).

All the above can be done and then prawns added at the last stage.

I had a feeling it was like that. There's a Venezuelan dish called Asado Negro, where the piece of meat ( called eye round) is cooked in a slightly sweet sauce with onions, garlic and local sweet peppers. It's cooked until there's almost no sauce left.
As you suggest, I could make the kalio and then add the prawns last, although they wouldn't absorb the sauce like the beef does.

I had a feeling it was like that. There's a Venezuelan dish called Asado Negro, where the piece of meat ( called eye round) is cooked in a slightly sweet sauce with onions, garlic and local sweet peppers. It's cooked until there's almost no sauce left.
As you suggest, I could make the kalio and then add the prawns last, although they wouldn't absorb the sauce like the beef does.

An alternative is to use chicken, if you are prepared to eat that.

I can see the similarity...

By the way, that recipe in the link looks much nicer than the one I got in file.
And it reminds me to take out my "cradle of flavor" book again :)

Back
Top Bottom