Show Us Your Grease Container

Its not really something that we tend to do in the UK. I think people did this many years ago but mainly from the fat from roasted meat, rather than bacon - it was called 'dripping'.
I collect the leftover fat from roast meat - it goes into a little pyrex dish in the fridge and I use it for roasting potatoes. Its a mix of all sorts of fat: beef, pork, chicken, duck & lamb. No bacon fat though.

I also think that modern bacon is loaded with water which takes quite some time to drive off leaving very little in the way of fat.
I agree you have to be careful which bacon you buy - some of them are wafer thin slices that shrink to half the size when they're grilled and the water comes out. I try to stick to dry cured bacon - its more expensive but much nicer and its less likely to be pumped full of water. I think the water issue and the fact that we mostly use back bacon rather than streaky is why we don't really see a need/opportunity to collect bacon fat. We probably eat bacon once or twice a week for breakfast - usually at the weekend either as part of a fry up, or as bacon sarnies.

Here's mine. It has an internal strainer to help catch the sediment that occurs on the bottom of the deep fryer or pan when frying.:wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom