Size, weight and price of eggs

CookieMonster

Über Member
Local time
10:34 AM
[Mod.edit: this and next few posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

simply curious . . .
does AU observe the EU standard or the US standard or 'its own standard' for grading egg sizes as xxx-S-M-L-xxx-xxx?

the EU SML description is bigger (by weight) than the US standard,

Last edited by a moderator:
One of our long time friends lives on Hawaii Island (aka The Big Island in Hawaii)
and sent us this photo from their market
1725502739674.png

DH asked me, "how much did we pay for eggs when we still lived on Oahu?"
I don't recall, but I know that I didn't buy them often...

simply curious . . .
does AU observe the EU standard or the US standard or 'its own standard' for grading egg sizes as xxx-S-M-L-xxx-xxx?

the EU SML description is bigger (by weight) than the US standard,
They are different from the UK, that's for certain. I don't know the American system so can't comment.

Egg Types & Labels: A Guide For Choosing The Right Eggs

Pack weight Egg size range Average size per egg Edible portion per egg Size descriptor
500 g41.7 g - 49.9 g43 g37 gMedium
600 g50.0 g - 58.2 g 52 g 45 g Large
700 g58.3 g - 66.6 g60 g52 gX-large
800 g66.7 g - 71.6 g68 g59 gJumbo
860 g71.7 g - 78.0 g73 g64 gKing-size

My chooks usually fall in the 750-800g for 12 range.

That's a steep price for 24 eggs.
I bought half a tray (here the trays are usually 30 eggs) last week and they cost me around $4.

looks like another system to add to the mix . . .
Code:
                grams per egg:
            USDA                 USDA      EU Sizes                   AU
           oz/doz   oz per egg     
peewee       15     1.25         35.4
small        18     1.50         42.5       small        <53
med          21     1.75         49.6       medium       53-63        Medium  43
large        24     2.00         56.7                                 Large   52
extra large  27     2.25         63.8       large        >63-73       xLarge  60
jumbo        30     2.50         70.9       very large   >73          Jumbo   68
king                                                                  king    73

TastyReuben We have chickens, but the thing is no one will share their eggs, they're that precious.
We had a feral pair in our backyard, but I could never catch them, well, the GSD was no help ... if we said, "Chicken" he was off and runnin' - kinda like "Squirrel" :laugh:

Jumbo is 30 gram?

I buy assorted eggs and the medium/small is about 30 gr (without shell)
(Yes, I weight them to get my pasta recipe more or less right)

And I thought everything was bigger in the States :)

the USDA "rules" specify ounces per dozen, and a further spec weight per case.
there has to be some 'tolerance' / variation in per egg weight, so the dozen/case spec is to ensure the eggs are not all on the heavy side or the light side....

I'm not aware that USDA or the EU standard addresses "without shell" . . . I can understand using that metric for pasta making, for example, but I do pasta from 'a well in a pile' of flour, and just mix in flour until the consistency is right. I don't do machines....

the USDA "rules" specify ounces per dozen, and a further spec weight per case.
there has to be some 'tolerance' / variation in per egg weight, so the dozen/case spec is to ensure the eggs are not all on the heavy side or the light side....

I'm not aware that USDA or the EU standard addresses "without shell" . . . I can understand using that metric for pasta making, for example, but I do pasta from 'a well in a pile' of flour, and just mix in flour until the consistency is right. I don't do machines....
One time I took an egg out of it's shell and was going to use it but for some reason didn't, so I put it in an airtight container and stuck it in the refrigerator. The next day it was funky-looking so I threw it out. I can't understand any purpose of measuring and selling eggs without their shells. Except for hardboiled, but I about lost it when I saw those in the store the first time a few years back. All I could think was, "Who is so friggin' lazy that they can't be bothered to peel their own eggs?" I get that sometimes the darned things don't want to peel, but still, the price they charged for those peeled eggs blew my mind!

Back
Top Bottom