Slow Cookers, Anyone?

Slow cookers have been sold to people who want to put something to cook and then go to work so that the dish or ingredient is done when they return. I bought mine for this purpose a long time ago. I no longer leave home to work so it doesn't serve that need. I still use it from time to time get something akin to sous vide. I use it every time I make ribs. I give them the low temp treatment and then finish them on the grill or under the broiler. They fall off the bone. Definitely wife approved ribs.

Slow cookers have been sold to people who want to put something to cook and then go to work so that the dish or ingredient is done when they return.
And I think (not absolutely sure) they're better for cooking meat products rather than vegetables. I can't imagine the result of cooking veggies for 6-8 hours; unless you're looking for post-war British brussels sprouts :hyper:
I used the slow cooker in Cinci for making a Birria. Cooked for about 8 hours, but that was fine because the steak was stewing steak.

And I think (not absolutely sure) they're better for cooking meat products rather than vegetables. I can't imagine the result of cooking veggies for 6-8 hours; unless you're looking for post-war British brussels sprouts :hyper:
I used the slow cooker in Cinci for making a Birria. Cooked for about 8 hours, but that was fine because the steak was stewing steak.
There is little point in cooking veggies in the thing. I sometimes add things like garlic or onion to season the meat and then I toss them. Are British brussels sprouts better now this far after war?

Am I the only one that likes ribs cave(wo)man style?
I actually do mine in the oven and finish on the grill. I like them falling apart tender though with a smoky finish.

I think it might depend on the type of ribs. Here in the US we have different types of pork ribs. My dad always made the country style thick ribs, the kind that aren't attached (and aren't really ribs apparently lol).

What Are Country-Style Ribs — And How Are They Different From Other Ribs?

They were good but I prefer rack of pork loin back ribs (aka babyback ribs). Then there are beef ribs and beef short ribs. I'd do beef short ribs in a crockpot, yeah.

I actually did a few pieces of ribs in THIS, the electric skillet. Only had a few pieces & I didn't want to use a big monster, & this was the first time using it, so it came to the rescue. Put some BBQ sauce on the meat for the last half an hour or so, & voila!! Bang boom, done!!! :whistling:
Electric Skillet..jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom