Switched to healthy eating and a feeling of guilt when I stray

I eat sugary sauces as well just not all I want. My approach is not to worry about what I eat but rather how much of it I eat.
Right. I'm trying to cut sugar out totally, I don't need to but I just want to see what happens. I've been doing pretty good. but, it's been a busy birthday party season so I've had the odd piece of cake. lol. And, my wife is an avid baker so that's been tough. But, as far as meals go, it's pretty easy to cut out sugars.

Right. I'm trying to cut sugar out totally, I don't need to but I just want to see what happens. I've been doing pretty good. but, it's been a busy birthday party season so I've had the odd piece of cake. lol. And, my wife is an avid baker so that's been tough. But, as far as meals go, it's pretty easy to cut out sugars.
Sugar is not one of the foods we would call healthy so reducing it is positive. The doctors specify a HEALTHY diet with portion control. I'm sure that my diet is less healthy than some but more healthy than most. Weight gain or loss is nothing more than the relationship between caloric intake and metabolic use. You can lose weight by opting for lower calorie foods or reduce the amount of food you take in. The doctors say that fad diets are a problem because people tend to regain weight after they graduate from the fad. Eat what you like, don't overeat and you have the best of both worlds. Then you don't have the motivation to change your diet when you hit the goal.

I have 15 lbs to go but I have slowed my loss over the past few months basically maintaining the weight. I'm no longer fat so there is no rush to finish up. At some point I will attack those final 15 lbs. This forum has caused me to spend more time cooking. :)

Last edited:
Hello you good people, I hope everyone is doing ok.

It has been some time since my last post (over 4 years!).

In the past and for quite some time, my work lunch consisted of cold cuts (pork or beef) sandwiches. My dinners were processed meats mainly in terms of frozen pre-cooked microwaveable dinner beef steaks on some nights and beef hotdogs on other nights - most nights I would have mashed potato. Once or twice a month I would have a Quarter Pounder or a Big Mac with fries at MCD. Daily desserts after dinner would be cookies or cake. During that time my Lipid Profile was borderline high.

Many months ago (maybe 5 to 6) all of the above changed. I stopped eating cold cuts and all processed meats. My dinners then rotated to boiled frozen mixed vegetables drained and served with a half can of tuna on top, and other nights I would have boiled frozen mixed vegetables drained with some oven baked plant based vegan meat free breaded strips that looked like meat nuggets. I would also have baked beans or some other beans as well on other nights. I also started taking multivitamins to ensure I have my daily requirements of vitamins and minerals. I have not retested my Lipid Profile but I have been feeling great but also lost a fair amount of weight (maybe due to low carbs). I have always been of an average build anyway.

So, this is the thing. Recently at the supermarket I had the urge for pork ribs and bought a full rack of the precooked ones and had those with fries (oven baked from frozen) for a weekend dinner. The next morning in my mind I felt horrible. I mean, I got hooked on healthy eating for months – i.e. avoiding processed meat or avoiding meat on the whole (I don’t consider tuna to be meat) – and now it seems that I am turned off from all land-based meat. Yes, I may have the urge to have shawarma or maybe a burger but in my mind, I feel like I am cheating myself because I worked so hard to develop a love for vegetables and plant based breaded ‘fake meats’ and tuna – and by having a beef burger once in a while – it feels like a self-betrayal of some sort.

Do you get my drift? Your thoughts?
Oh, I could never live without my favorite food. Life's too short to eat healthy food..

Thank you everyone for your replies! Very interesting indeed. Hello SatNav, glad to hear your brother is trying.

So the vegan fake meat that I have are not burger patties but breaded nugget strips or breaded 'fake fish'. I normally have 2 servings and see the nutrition information attached; according to that, 2 servings would be only 1g of saturated fat. What examples of vegan fake meat do you refer to that are high in saturated fat that I can perhaps look out for to remember to avoid them?

View attachment 118794
1/2 gram? Kid's stuff.

Sugar is not one of the foods we would call healthy so reducing it is positive. The doctors specify a HEALTHY diet with portion control. I'm sure that my diet is less healthy than some but more healthy than most. Weight gain or loss is nothing more than the relationship between caloric intake and metabolic use. You can lose weight by opting for lower calorie foods or reduce the amount of food you take in. The doctors say that fad diets are a problem because people tend to regain weight after they graduate from the fad. Eat what you like, don't overeat and you have the best of both worlds. Then you don't have the motivation to change your diet when you hit the goal.

I have 15 lbs to go but I have slowed my loss over the past few months basically maintaining the weight. I'm no longer fat so there is no rush to finish up. At some point I will attack those final 15 lbs. This forum has caused me to spend more time cooking. :)
I eat what I like. That’s my problem. I like to say I’m “.over nourished”. Lol!

I have never really bought into fad diets for reasons you stated. But, Indo believe we could probably all survive without added sugar. I’ve eaten it and will eat it again. Although, I believe that there can be nuggets of good information in some diets that can be used when establishing a varied and well rounded diet.
I’m surrounded by food all day and everyday. So, basically go by how my body reacts and what makes me feel good. Short term and long.

Last edited:
I've been working on a piece of Reese's peanut butter chocolate cheesecake for 4 days and I am about 3/4s done. At one point in my life I would have eaten the whole thing in one sitting (back when I weighed about 115 lbs and was thin as a rail), so I see this as a success. I have a lot of other improvements in my diet I could make. I really could take off 25 pounds and be the better for it, but I tend to think less alcohol consumption and more exercise would suit me better.

I eat what I like. That’s my problem. I like to say I’m “.over nourished”. Lol!

I have never really bought into fad diets for reasons you stated. But, Indo believe we could probably all survive without added sugar. I’ve eaten it and will eat it again. Although, I believe that there can be nuggets of good information in some diets that can be used when establishing a varied and well rounded diet.
I’m surrounded by food all day and everyday. So, basically go by how my body reacts and what makes me feel good. Short term and long.
We had chef that conducted classes at our store from time to time who was paper thin. He looked like a skeleton. I asked him if tasted the food he was cooking. He said sure and that's all he ate. He didn't eat at home. That is portion control taken over the top. He made some really nice baked foil wrapped grouper that i still remember. I should have visited his kitchen for a taste or two.

I've been working on a piece of Reese's peanut butter chocolate cheesecake for 4 days and I am about 3/4s done. At one point in my life I would have eaten the whole thing in one sitting (back when I weighed about 115 lbs and was thin as a rail), so I see this as a success. I have a lot of other improvements in my diet I could make. I really could take off 25 pounds and be the better for it, but I tend to think less alcohol consumption and more exercise would suit me better.
Exercise is good for a bunch of reasons. But by itself, it doesn't lose much weight. What and how much you eat is what gets the job done and exercise helps but is secondary in terms of weight loss.

Exercise is good for a bunch of reasons. But by itself, it doesn't lose much weight. What and how much you eat is what gets the job done and exercise helps but is secondary in terms of weight loss.
I'm more concerned with retaining lean muscle and bone density being female at 62. If I don't lose the entire 25 pounds I at least can transform it.

I'm more concerned with retaining lean muscle and bone density being female at 62. If I don't lose the entire 25 pounds I at least can transform it.
That's true. But shedding the 25 lbs surely would make you feel better.

I think just redistribution would be ok too.
At our age, I'm 62 also, it is important to get some kind of strength training activities otherwise our muscles will atrophy. People can build muscle into their 80's.

Back
Top Bottom