Vegan yoghurt making

Timenspace

Legendary Member
Local time
7:56 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post and a number of following posts have been moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Brekkie has changed for a number of reasons... it's now Oats soaked overnight in oat milk, served with (homemade) soy yoghurt, and home-grown raspberries.
View attachment 113298
Lovely looking yoghurt consistency...could you recommend a recipe?
I have tried one for almond yoghurt, I think it was, and it completely failed...a very complex procedure too, so it might have been my bad...chickpeas I tried too...I think, I have it noted somewhere, but am not at home right now...the store bought plant yoghurts are delicious to the roof and over, but fairly expensive...

Last edited by a moderator:
A store bought coconut based yoghurt with some granola, all packaged, even the tiny wooden spoon was in.

Lovely looking yoghurt consistency...could you recommend a recipe?
I have tried one for almond yoghurt, I think it was, and it completely failed...a very complex procedure too, so it might have been my bad...chickpeas I tried too...I think, I have it noted somewhere, but am not at home right now...the store bought plant yoghurts are delicious to the roof and over, but fairly expensive...
Ours is just soy milk and the vegan yoghurt culture (the only differenceis that this is grown in a vegan base, not a dairy base which would give me anaphylactic shock, otherwise it's the same bacteria. ).

No sugar, nothing like that and 48 hr at 40°C. We use Bonsoy Soy Milk which is a higher end soy milk, rather than the cheap as chips stuff. It's 14% soy beans.
Bonsoy Soy Milk Australia | Organic | Vegan

We make it in 2L containers, so it costs about AU$10 for 2 Liters (if I factor in culture etc and I've not managed to buy the soy milk on offer) which Google tells me is around €6.10

Thank you so much. I will try. My thinking goes to use a fermented almond yoghurt as a starter onto almond milk...or soy on soy...and see what comes best...
Soy milk has proteins very similar to dairy milk which is why it is a good substitute in recipes. It makes yogurt much more easily than other plant based milks (pea protein milk might be an exception).

Almond milk along with other nut milks and coconut milk needs a thickener to get a set yoghurt (so I understand).

I use this company's yoghurt maker (The Best Yoghurt Maker in Australia - 1 to 2 litre capacity) and I know that they also have recipes online to make other non-dairy yoghurts. Soy Yoghurt Directions | Green Living Australia

It is their vegan culture that I use as well. Typically 1 batch lasts me about 2 years!

Bonsoy soy milk is naturally 2.2% sugar, so I'm using less than half of the sugar the recommend, so we just run the ferment stage for longer. Theory states I should be adding 28g of sugar per litre of soy milk to have the 5% sugar for optimal fermentation (you count natural sugars in with that 5% figure). I also don't preheat my soy milk. I don't keep it in the fridge, though in winter it may be warmer in the fridge! Lol. I literally just put the whole lot directly into my yoghurt maker, add the culture and add boiling water to the water bath area of my yoghurt maker (it only takes 150ml so not much at all). We typically scald the insides of the yoghurt container and lid and use that water in the water bath area. I did have a small 7 pot yoghurt maker but fell out with the fiddling around with multiple jars and lids.

use this company's yoghurt maker (The Best Yoghurt Maker in Australia - 1 to 2 litre capacity) and I know that they also have recipes online to make other non-dairy yoghurts.
Thank you indeed. As I went on walking to work,I was thinking, how will I sustain a 40c temp for 48 hours, so here is your answer, I actually am thinking into buying a yoghurt maker. Possibly no way around it.

Brilliant point about the differences, so soy milk is easiest, thank you for that.

And there is your precious chemistry knowledge about the sugar required for fermentation...

Let me snoop around the German Amazon, which delivers quickly to my address, to see what they have of y makers...

2 y it lasts, Goodness, that is good, I will look for that starter culture too...if I succeed, that will be a huge step up in my diet. Could also use it in baked goods then...

I can eat through 400g of yoghurrt in a day, effortlessly, LOL...
♥️

Thank you indeed. As I went on walking to work,I was thinking, how will I sustain a 40c temp for 48 hours, so here is your answer, I actually am thinking into buying a yoghurt maker. Possibly no way around it.

Brilliant point about the differences, so soy milk is easiest, thank you for that.

And there is your precious chemistry knowledge about the sugar required for fermentation...

Let me snoop around the German Amazon, which delivers quickly to my address, to see what they have of y makers...

2 y it lasts, Goodness, that is good, I will look for that starter culture too...if I succeed, that will be a huge step up in my diet. Could also use it in baked goods then...

I can eat through 400g of yoghurrt in a day, effortlessly, LOL...
♥️
The culture is kept in the freezer. The amount provided lasts 2 years because we make a full 2L pot each time. I'm pretty sure it is likely passed its use by date, but it hasn't affected it at all. I can't say for sure on stuff you buy, but it should be similar. Go with the best quality soy milk you can afford and don't worry too much about sugars! We've found it isn't needed if you're happy to ferment for longer.

I do as our homemade yoghurt to baked goods, and other recipes, all the time.

I'm pretty sure it is likely passed its use by date, but it hasn't affected it at all. I can't say for sure on stuff you buy, but it should be similar. Go with the best quality soy milk you can afford and don't worry too much about sugars!
Thank you so so much. Valuable first hand advice. I will update here on the forum on my progress. I am so happy about the prospect of making my own yoghurt. Yeeey

We make it in 2L containers, so it costs about
If and when you have time, would you say this yoghurt maker is ok, for a beginner?
As it appears to me, it does use a water bath, it places 7 jars of 300g (or so) and the temperature can be regulated...it is German made...
Screenshot_20240531_093202_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240531_093242_Chrome.jpg

If and when you have time, would you say this yoghurt maker is ok, for a beginner?
As it appears to me, it does use a water bath, it places 7 jars of 300g (or so) and the temperature can be regulated...it is German made...
View attachment 114159View attachment 114160
There are a number of "issues" or features with this that I moved away from. My first Aussie yoghurt maker was very similar. I still have the jars, and yes it made yoghurt but it was a pain. You've got to sterilise a big container and add the culture. Sterilise a suitable stirring "stick". Both types need this, but your next step will be to sterilise the 7 jars and 7 lids. You'll need a funnel or similar, also sterilised. Then you've got to pour the mixture into each one, without overfilling and without spilling it, then put the lid on. Repeat 6 times more.

Technically you're meant to boil the soy milk and then cool it down to 40°C. I omit this step, but I only ever use unopened soy milk to make yoghurt from. I don't heat it, so I need longer for fermentation to get it up to temp.

This one has various programs. Most are less than 12hrs if that. 1 program is a choice set by you between 1-24hrs. After that you'd need to run it again if the yoghurt wasn't thick enough or set enough, or just strong enough in flavour. Another issue is that you can only set 7 jars going if you've emptied and cleaned then sterilised all 7 jars and lids. With the type I have, you get 2 containers, so we can still use the first container to hold yoghurt in, whilst getting the next batch going, so we don't need tu run out before we can make more.

As I said, we ditched this method very soon after starting with it. Luckily ours came to us free. We found it very fiddley and a faff to use sadly. We just use the yoghurt from the big tub. Only clean spoons ever go in, so we've never lost yoghurt from contamination or bacteria/mould.

It will do what you want, but there are easier models around.

It will do what you want, but there are easier models around.
Oh thank you, I never thought about sterilizing. Sometimes I don't manage to put away my dishes into the dishwasher, let alone sterilize, 7 jars, when I am on the " fly" between errands...
I remember my Granda, who was retired then, cooking a huge boiling water pot for the pickles jars. I always thought it a long and boring procedure. Of course it must be done.
I will look around for more models.

She made yoghurt, albeit a dairy one, at the oven. I don't know how, i believe it was a water bath too. She maybe kept it in for long, after turning the oven off.

Thank you for saving me the 7 jar frustration.

If you have an instant pot or similar multicooker you may already have a yogurt setting on it.
Oh thank you for the advice. No, sadly, I do not. My kitchen is not advanced at all. It is only my curiosity that is, not the gadgets, or the furniture...but perhaps it will be...when it grows up...😆

Oh thank you for the advice. No, sadly, I do not. My kitchen is not advanced at all. It is only my curiosity that is, not the gadgets, or the furniture...but perhaps it will be...when it grows up...😆
My microwave also has a yoghurt setting that will only run for 6hrs and for some reason I don't understand, says not to use soy milk.
Oh thank you, I never thought about sterilizing. Sometimes I don't manage to put away my dishes into the dishwasher, let alone sterilize, 7 jars, when I am on the " fly" between errands...
I remember my Granda, who was retired then, cooking a huge boiling water pot for the pickles jars. I always thought it a long and boring procedure. Of course it must be done.
I will look around for more models.

She made yoghurt, albeit a dairy one, at the oven. I don't know how, i believe it was a water bath too. She maybe kept it in for long, after turning the oven off.

Thank you for saving me the 7 jar frustration.
We typically just scald the inside and lid of the large dedicated yoghurt container. That has always been enough because it is the only thing we use that container for and we only make plain yoghurt in it. If we want flavored yoghurt, we add the flavouring afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom