Vegan yoghurt making

Bought 2x 400ml coconut milk. I aimed at coconut cream, but there was none suitable. For a coconut yoghurt.

(The Farfalle are for the Ingredients thread, sorry)
20240718_085735.jpg

The 'early' soy yoghurt. It chilled for only 90 minutes in the fridge.
It drained very little liquid. So far. Gritsy for now. I don't mind.

This is the extra quantity, that did not fir into the 'official' sieve.

Although the instruction video explained the sugar is not for us, but the bacteria, I can feel the sugary film in my mouth.

It's ok. It's me, living over 2 y on low sugar food.

Enjoying the learning process about vegan yoghurt making. Good yoghurt!
20240718_102041.jpg
20240718_102051.jpg
20240718_102109.jpg
20240718_102059.jpg

The 'early' soy yoghurt. It chilled for only 90 minutes in the fridge.
It drained very little liquid. So far. Gritsy for now. I don't mind.

This is the extra quantity, that did not fir into the 'official' sieve.

Although the instruction video explained the sugar is not for us, but the bacteria, I can feel the sugary film in my mouth.

It's ok. It's me, living over 2 y on low sugar food.

Enjoying the learning process about vegan yoghurt making. Good yoghurt!
View attachment 116178View attachment 116179View attachment 116180View attachment 116181
We don't add sugar at all. It doesn't need it if you just let it ferment longer.

My newest yoghurt, only coconut milk and ferment.

I let the maker do it's magic for 18 hours, but it looked like nothing happened, the milk was liquidy as before with no signs of whatever change, I set it for another 18 hours at 39c, and this is how it looked before I put it in the fridge for stage 2: draining and chilling.

I believe what I see is fermentation. Update this evening.

20240729_093518.jpg

About 6 hours later, it looks like hardened coconut butter with some liquid remains, taste is a tad sour.
Hm, not yoghurty...probably I messed something up.
Will use the coco butter for bakes, for sure...

20240729_173028.jpg
20240729_173048.jpg

About 6 hours later, it looks like hardened coconut butter with some liquid remains, taste is a tad sour.
Hm, not yoghurty...probably I messed something up.
Will use the coco butter for bakes, for sure...

View attachment 116718View attachment 116719
There are a number of non-dairy yoghurts that don't work by themselves. They need a thickening agent such as rice flour or pectin in order to thicken and coconut is one of those. Also you need to check that your coconut cream is as high % coconut as you can get. So don't use a coconut milk that's only 50% coconut kernel extract either because that also won't work.

I looked at the can, it say 60% kernell, so not good for yoghurt...I might stick to soy...coconut is somewhat difficult to find...or I will search further, to the time and abilities available.

Read at least 4 recipes online that call for coconut milk and probiotics, and nothing else...but without specifying the kernell ratio.

Don't have probiotics yet.

Will try soy again in a couple of days or so.

Back
Top Bottom