What do you eat with Yorkshire puddings?

I don’t like Yorkshire puddings much. Big lumps of batter are a bit boring but I serve them every time with every type of main because others like them and I always have one (which I don’t eat) because they keep the gravy hot so well.

Mod.edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)

We had a delicious roast chicken dinner. In the office this has sparked the debate as to whether or not Yorkshire puds belong on a plate with chicken or should it only be beef.
Traditionally they come with beef but personally I'll eat them with any meat!

Back in the day, a Yorkshire pudding was eaten as a starter, main and desert - all depending on your standing in the household. In the olden days the man went out to work so he got to have his Yorkshire pudding first, whilst he was eating that another was cooked in the oven by the woman of the house. By the time the man had eaten his Yorkshire it was time to dish up the main meal to everyone and as the second batch of Yorkshire Pudding would be ready by this time the children got to eat theirs with their main meal. As before, when one is removed another one is cooked and by the time the last one was ready, you would have finished your mains so the last one became desert and it wasn't unheard of to server it with some jam!

I’m afraid to speak up…almost, but I’ve been known to take the last pud and smear strawberry jam and peanut butter on it. :whistling:

I hereby tender my resignation as moderator, forum member, and human being. I’ll shall await sentencing by a jury of my Britters (meaning, my betters, who are British). :laugh:
It is just a matter terminology. Remove the drippings from the recipe, call it a Swedish pancake and you can have your jam and peanut butter. I like powdered sugar and lemon juice on mine.

When you think about it, A Yorkshire pud is basically pancake batter bunged into hot oil in the oven, so if you want to serve it with maple syrup, or jam, or cream, then be my guest.
Don't know whether it's apocryphal or not, but I once heard that the "original" Yorkshire pudding was poured into the fat which dripped off the whole, spitroast side of beef, and was served to the servants.

I've made mini puds served with a poached egg placed in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom