Why aren't these knives widely used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way would I use a knife like that to cut vegetables - way too thin and far too dangerous. I'd use a chef's knife which I can place against my knuckles and avoid getting cut.
I bet those guys in the video have got scars all over their hands!

No way would I use a knife like that to cut vegetables - way too thin and far too dangerous. I'd use a chef's knife which I can place against my knuckles and avoid getting cut.
I bet those guys in the video have got scars all over their hands!
I bought a expensive chefs knife from a reputable brand. I have weak kinda thin wrists, typical for us Asian males. I cut myself with it. It was too heavy for me.

So are you looking for knives that aren't too heavy that you are comfortable using? We have some pretty savvy folks here in the forum. Maybe blades has some recommendations for you, although he is US based. Morning Glory lives in the UK and she's not exactly a brute in build so she might know of knives suitable for someone who doesn't want a heavy knife.

I wouldn’t be tempted to try that knife, but more power to the gentleman using it. I’d have no control with it. It looks like it’s got a mind of its own.

I'm not on facebook, so I can't see the knife.
But...
Go to a good kitchen equipment shop and try the fee of some of the knives (without looking at the price).
It may surprise you. Maybe a 16 cm knife suits you, maybe a 24 cm one.

As I said in another thread, I got a couple of kiwi knives. They are the cheapest I have, but I use them most often.
Don't get me wrong, they are not high class knives, but they suit me
Medium - chopchopchop.co.uk

But mainly, when you see any of your friends using a knife, ask them how they like it. Then ask if you can hold and use it for a bit

Main thing: every knife needs sharpening. A blunt knife is no good

I'm not on facebook, so I can't see the knife.
But...
Go to a good kitchen equipment shop and try the fee of some of the knives (without looking at the price).
It may surprise you. Maybe a 16 cm knife suits you, maybe a 24 cm one.

As I said in another thread, I got a couple of kiwi knives. They are the cheapest I have, but I use them most often.
Don't get me wrong, they are not high class knives, but they suit me
Medium - chopchopchop.co.uk

But mainly, when you see any of your friends using a knife, ask them how they like it. Then ask if you can hold and use it for a bit

Main thing: every knife needs sharpening. A blunt knife is no good
How did you come across that brand of knife?
I don't have any friends 😢

Thanks

So are you looking for knives that aren't too heavy that you are comfortable using? We have some pretty savvy folks here in the forum. Maybe blades has some recommendations for you, although he is US based. Morning Glory lives in the UK and she's not exactly a brute in build so she might know of knives suitable for someone who doesn't want a heavy knife.
These are the knives I bought and tried.
I mainly used the chefs knives. The company took the knives back even though I used them because of aesthetic manufacturing defects. But I found the chefs knives were too heavy, and food stuck like crazy to them when cutting, and I felt the curve of the blade was too much. But maybe that's because I had never used a chef knife before? Idk.

But yeah those chef knives were too heavy. I am not looking at spending lots of money on knives. I just wanted to try these and return them, and that's exactly what I did.
Screenshots of knives I bought are here. Knives bought directly from the manufacturer.

I had also bought the America's test kitchen knife which was relatively cheap, Victorinox 5.2063.20 Chefs Knife, Extra Broad, 20cm, but I hated how broad it was. At least I think it was the extra broad version that was the recommended knife on America's test kitchen? Also hated the handle on that knife. Think it was the material that I hated the feel of. Can't remember too well. I got a refund on that too. Amazon are amazing.

So hopefully this will help you, and blades and the other person help me pick some knives?

This guy says not to buy expensive knives. Worth a full watch.
View: https://youtu.be/wd9uoHsWuOE?feature=shared

Thanks

Screenshot_20240928_203650_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240928_203656_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240928_203659_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Screenshot_20240928_203702_Yahoo Mail.jpg

I bought a expensive chefs knife from a reputable brand. I have weak kinda thin wrists, typical for us Asian males. I cut myself with it. It was too heavy for me.
Western style Japanese knives are lighter because they have thin, hard blades, no bolsters and better balance. They aren't cheap, however. If weight is the major issue then you can buy knives with thin soft blades and no bolsters with pretty good balance from Victorinox. Let me know if you need links.

Western style Japanese knives are lighter because they have thin, hard blades, no bolsters and better balance. They aren't cheap, however. If weight is the major issue then you can buy knives with thin soft blades and no bolsters with pretty good balance from Victorinox. Let me know if you need links.
Thanks, I just posted above, hopefully this will help you recommend knives.

These are the knives I bought and tried.
I mainly used the chefs knives. The company took the knives back even though I used them because of aesthetic manufacturing defects. But I found the chefs knives were too heavy, and food stuck like crazy to them when cutting, and I felt the curve of the blade was too much. But maybe that's because I had never used a chef knife before? Idk.

But yeah those chef knives were too heavy. I am not looking at spending lots of money on knives. I just wanted to try these and return them, and that's exactly what I did.
Screenshots of knives I bought are here. Knives bought directly from the manufacturer.

I had also bought the America's test kitchen knife which was relatively cheap, Victorinox 5.2063.20 Chefs Knife, Extra Broad, 20cm, but I hated how broad it was. At least I think it was the extra broad version that was the recommended knife on America's test kitchen? Also hated the handle on that knife. Think it was the material that I hated the feel of. Can't remember too well. I got a refund on that too. Amazon are amazing.

So hopefully this will help you, and blades and the other person help me pick some knives?

This guy says not to buy expensive knives. Worth a full watch.
View: https://youtu.be/wd9uoHsWuOE?feature=shared

Thanks

View attachment 119034

View attachment 119035

View attachment 119036

View attachment 119037
I am not a knife expert by any means and I don't have a bunch of fancy knives. Not cheap but not too expensive, either.

There have been knife discussions on this thread before. Here's one:
General knife talk

Thanks, I just posted above, hopefully this will help you recommend knives.
I did. I recommend western style japanese knives for superior performance and Victorinox for light weight and perfectly acceptable performance. You can review some good quality Japanese knives on this web site (not my web site.). I have knives from Masamoto, Misono and Glestain shown on this site. All are outstanding. I have many others as well. Hope this gives you an idea of what I consider the best kitchen cutlery on the planet. Please understand that there are great kitchen knives made in North America, Europe and even China. But Japan has been making high performance cutlery for over 700 years and they are the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom