Avocados, bananas and plantains

[Mod.Edit: posts moved to start a new topic (MG)]

Oh nooooooooooooooo. If you aren't the one eating it you can't do that (and you wouldn't if you'd ever eaten one that wasn't ripe)! It's not fun to eat them under-ripe, even if it's only a little under-ripe, it's just not tasty and enjoyable and the texture is odd.

I would say it depends on how you are using them. Agreed they need to be ripe - but there is really soft ripe and firm ripe (and various stages in between). If you were making avocado chips (fries) you would use firm ripe. Similarly for pickled avocado.

Unripe bananas feature on lots of recipes in India, SE Asia and, I imagine, Africa. Curiously enough, in the tropical/subtropical areas of south America, it's the plantain which is preferred.

Strange thing is (and I never thought of it before), the texture of avocado is similar to banana, in a way. And it gets softer in the same way, as it ripens. Also, If you cook avocados they slightly resemble plantains. They lose their sweetness.

Strange thing is (and I never thought of it before), the texture of avocado is similar to banana, in a way. And it gets softer in the same way, as it ripens. Also, If you cook avocados they slightly resemble plantains. They lose their sweetness.
But avocado is a bit more slippery than banana. Also, I have never tasted a sweet avocado? The ones I get are savory.

Back
Top Bottom