Avocados, bananas and plantains

But avocado is a bit more slippery than banana. Also, I have never tasted a sweet avocado? The ones I get are savory.
Avocados have a subtle sweetness. Its a light anise and nutty sweetness. That is partly why people like them I think (that, but more importantly their buttery mouth feel). Bananas are much sweeter of course but I reckon they do get slippery especially when ripe. Slipping on a banana skin is a real thing.

You can very thinly slice unripe plantains, not totally green, and fry them to make chips/crisps. Dip them in homemade mojo for a treat. They are available commercially in bags here, just like potato chips.

You can slice them thick, 1/2"-1" or thicker, fry them, then smash the 1/2" ones, fry and then salt. They can be dipped in mojo too. The thicker ones can be fried, sort of smash and form into a cup/bowl that makes a good vessel for individual ceviche, guacamole, etc.

Oh, you fry them like double fried French fries, at a lower temperature first, then higher.

Ripe ones, which are black or mostly black, can be fried and salted as a savory side. Have to be careful though because the starches have turned into sugars and they burn easily. I brine mine for at least an hour before cooking because I think they taste better that way. Just be sure to blot them dry and go easy on the salt after frying.

The ripe ones can also be baked with brown sugar and a little salt for a dessert sweet.

Last edited:
Avocados have a subtle sweetness. Its a light anise and nutty sweetness. That is partly why people like them I think (that, but more importantly their buttery mouth feel). Bananas are much sweeter of course but I reckon they do get slippery especially when ripe. Slipping on a banana skin is a real thing.
I don't detect anise (which I strongly dislike) or sweetness in the ones I get, though I think they are slightly nutty and buttery...I buy Hass here in OH because that's the only variety available at the grocery stores I go to.

What does everyone recommend doing with them?
1) Tajadas (fried ripe plantain slices).
2) Tostones/patacones ( twice fried green plantain rounds)
3) Plantain chips/crisps (green plantains, sliced thin, deep fried, sprinkled with salt)
4) Baked plantain with white cheese ( Very mature plantains, blackened skin, stuffed with white cheese, and baked in foil)
5) Plantains in coconut curry sauce ( green plantains)

I'm not fond of plantain, but will eat it.
It's a big thing in more central africa and is fried/boiled and used like potatoes

3) Plantain chips/crisps (green plantains, sliced thin, deep fried, sprinkled with salt)
4) Baked plantain with white cheese ( Very mature plantains, blackened skin, stuffed with white cheese, and baked in foil)
No 5 appeals most.
What ripeness, cut and method to add it do you recommend (ie fried, cooked in the broth etc)?

No 5 appeals most.
What ripeness, cut and method to add it do you recommend (ie fried, cooked in the broth etc)?

I've only had them #1 thus far and loved it!
Fried ripe plantains are called maduros by Cubans.

Double fried unripe plantains are called tostones.

Back
Top Bottom