Building a Burger

I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one. I like a burger to actually fit in my gob! I dislike it intensely when the things held together with a stick indicating you'll never get a single mouthful of the whole thing and probably end up wearing some of it.

I also mainly agree with you that burger is comfort food with the minor exception that if it tastes good then go ahead gold leaf it (hope it's obvious I chose gold leaf cos it does not improve flavour 😆) so chuck whatever in, experiment, just make sure the average human mouth can fit the bugger in there!!

I'm with Anthony Bourdain on this one. I like a burger to actually fit in my gob!
Have to admit that the Ford's Burger I had the other day wouldn't have fitted even if I'd unhinged my jaw - so I ate it with a knife and fork. Probably got some strange looks from locals, but it would have been impossible to eat otherwise.

Have to admit that the Ford's Burger I had the other day wouldn't have fitted even if I'd unhinged my jaw - so I ate it with a knife and fork. Probably got some strange looks from locals, but it would have been impossible to eat otherwise.
We went to a place in Atlanta called the Vortex and son in law ordered a burger like this. One of those towers of food. Only time I ever saw him not be able to finish something. He said it really good. I know the burger I ordered was great.

curious.... recently did a batch of burgers . . . I cut out and weighed the ground beef per patty.

I've done 4 ounce and 5 ounce.... decided to try 6 ounces of ground beef. formed mine in a round mold; DW's "freehand" to her preference.

lesson learned: 6 ounces of ground beef per patty on a Pepperidge Farm sesame bun . . . is absolutely too much.
insufficient mouth capacity . . . .

Breakfast burgers this morning.
Chicken and chorizo with tzatziki and tomatoes.
Fitted in the gob perfectly and the others loved them but it was a bit too spicy for me!

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

So what did you add to make it spicy?
It was flavoured strongly with the spices you use for chorizo. Had mixed up too much for sandwich meat and didn't like to waste it.
So the classics- a lot of paprika, garlic and oregano and half the amount of recommended chilli powder because this brand is not messing about when they say "Extra hot" 😆
IMG_3366.jpeg

Yep, I can do that, as long as it's thin, crispy bacon.
Absolutely. Nothing worse than chewy, fatty bacon. I do sometimes get it a little thicker but it is always cooked to a crisp texture, never chewy. That's why I can't wrap my head around turkey bacon, I know people who eat and like it but it's not for me!

When (Indian) chile powder says "extra hot", you can bet on it 100%. Never used East End brand, but the other brands I've used (Laxmi, Deep, Nirav) have a real bite to them!
East End is the one I use. Its obviously not too hot for me - but then I can eat the hottest phal you can imagine.

Hmmm, it's the fourth, and the people who usually host 4th of July are having issues such as they're not doing it this year - and they aren't going to drive the two hours or so up to me for me to do for them.

Perhaps i'll just go out and grill my own? Hadn't really thought about what i'd be cooking yet today besides frying up some eggs with a veggie or three.

i do have a choice between beef, pork, lamb, venison or the two fake styles of ground "meat". Lamb might be easiest to access from the deep freeze.

I don't like buns, but I could do a burger wrap with a warmed tortilla wrap, or a lettuce wrap. Or just serve it naked of an enclosure.

Melted cheese (i have Oaxaca or Fontina to hand). Mustard. Grilled onion. Wish I had dill pickles.

Absolutely NO ketchup. Even if I've been told that's un-American.

So we went off to vote and then the birthday celebration begin with an easy 'light lunch' of burger n chips.

Wagyu burger
Mild Gherkins
Thin Sliced Red Onion
Iceberg lettuce
Arlintia Vine Grown Tomatoes
Tamed Jalapeños
Blacksticks Blue Burger Cheese Slices
Toasted Plain or Brioche Bun
Spiced Mayo, Tomato ketchup, Classic
Mayo
Triple Cooked Gastropub Chips with
Smoked Chilli Sea Salt
Beer battered onion rings

Outdoor cooking to save on the cleaning up.

IMG_3401.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

Everyone stacked their burger however they preferred.

Back
Top Bottom