Can air fryers really cook chips (fries) from scratch?

I am assuming you both mean skinny fries as shown by TastyReuben above? I'm looking for chubby chip shop chips. As karadekoolaid says they end up raw in the middle (well they do in my halogen oven, which is similar to an air fryer).
Yes.
If they are raw in the middle then the time and temperature were wrong. I cook quartered red potatoes exactly the same way. The solution to partially cooked potatoes is to reduce the temp and increase the time.
Sounds logical.

the "classic" method for 'french fires' is a lower temp deep fry - that cooks the potato thru
cooled, followed by a higher temp deep fry that crisps and browns them.

over the years I've made numerous attempts to make 'french fries' in a one pass operation -
never worked out . . .

All sounding like a bit of a faff now though.
Save the electricity and order them from a chip shop? 😆
I have on a few occasions ordered takeout burgers that had fries with them and I tell ya, they always are cold and limp by the time I get them home. I'd rather cook fresh at home, and more often than not, I just deep fry in oil.

I have on a few occasions ordered takeout burgers that had fries with them and I tell ya, they always are cold and limp by the time I get them home. I'd rather cook fresh at home, and more often than not, I just deep fry in oil.
Ah yes but a chip shop (in the UK) that serves bad chips is a chip shop thats very soon closed.
Most of them have mastered the art of the correct cardboard packaging to survive a Deliveroo courier.
But you do need to pay the extra to have them brought directly to you.
The round the houses delivery of crispy foods is not good.
But I think perhaps the big fat chips favoured here are less prone to getting cold and soggy? 🤷‍♀️

I LOVE diner fries.
Years ago, there was a fast food place around here called Wetson's. Out of business now, but was WAY better than McDonald's. They had the best fries. Their fries were so much better than McD's I think they fried in lard. They also had the best small crispy cherry pies (they were long and chubby like McD's apple pies, which are lousy now). BTW, Popeye's apple pies are great.

here's a couple ideas for veddy nice home-done 'fries' . . . brown to desired state, salt _immediately_ out of the pan.

first - slices of a normal/large potato - any kind - with or without skin.
the trick is a par-boil - not more than five minutes in already boiling/salted water, followed by a complete cool down.
if not cooled, the slices will break up . . .
pan fired in shallow oil (olive oil here), flipped and fried other side. doing a large qty is a bit tedious with the flipping bit....
1715623355860.jpeg

another take . . . baby (reds in this photo) sliced in half.
and the parboil (longer ~10 minutes due to thicker sections)
shallow oil fry & flip...
1715623548951.jpeg

here's a couple ideas for veddy nice home-done 'fries' . . . brown to desired state, salt _immediately_ out of the pan.

the trick is a par-boil - not more than five minutes in already boiling/salted water, followed by a complete cool down.
pan fired in shallow oil (olive oil here), flipped and fried other side. doing a large qty is a bit tedious with the flipping bit....
View attachment 113531

another take . . . baby (reds in this photo) sliced in half.
and the parboil (longer ~10 minutes due to thicker sections)
shallow oil fry & flip...
View attachment 113532
We prefer very well done fried potatoes, so the first photo is right for our tastes. Second one, nope.

Ah yes but a chip shop (in the UK) that serves bad chips is a chip shop thats very soon closed.
Most of them have mastered the art of the correct cardboard packaging to survive a Deliveroo courier.
But you do need to pay the extra to have them brought directly to you.
The round the houses delivery of crispy foods is not good.
But I think perhaps the big fat chips favoured here are less prone to getting cold and soggy? 🤷‍♀️

Are UK chips more like our steak fries?
Steak Fries (Air Fryer or Oven) - Wholesome Yum

We'd call those wedges 😆

Steak chips here look more like this
View attachment 113534
Honestly they're probably more like rectangular roast potatoes 😆
The ones you pictured look like the ones my dad used to buy when I was growing up in Florida. That's what we called steak fries down there, but up here it's those wedges with the skin on them, which is what I would call a potato wedge, LOL. Terminology can be vastly different from region to region, apparently.

View attachment 113531
That's Blightys version of sauté potatoes, it's the sign of a good full english.

Last edited:
We prefer very well done fried potatoes, so the first photo is right for our tastes. Second one, nope.
nadda issue - just pan fry them a bit longer.

I was 'documenting' the method, pan tossed them - result: some up, some down. took the pix.
I use bamboo skewers to flip the individual chunks/slices.
as I said, somewhat tedious - not something one can proclaim as: "fry for x minutes and . . . ."

Back
Top Bottom