Chicken dinners

blades

Local time
7:39 PM
Mod. Edit: This post copied and following posts moved to form new topic (MG)

What is the best British dish?
Traditionally, we Brits have been slammed because our cuisine is "simple". Typically, meat and 2 veg. And yet, simplicity is beauty, is delicious. Think of a Sunday lunch; an absolute must for a British family. Roast beef (obviously cooked to perfection) with crispy, to-die-for roast potatoes and parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, tender baby carrots, nutty Brussels sprouts, tender cabbage; what's not to like about that?
Afternoon Tea. Delicate, tasty sandwiches with one or two ingredients (roast beef & horseradish, egg & cress, Cheddar cheese & chutney, ham & cheese. And then scones with cream and strawberry jam. Delicate Victoria sponge.
If you want a really good start to the day? 2 sausages, 2 fried eggs, baked beans, fried bread, mushrooms, and a slice or two of black pudding.
For dessert? Apple pie (yes, we invented it), rhubarb crumble, Eton mess, lemon posset, spotted dick, bread & butter pudding, sticky toffee pudding - what's not to like there?
Nothing not to like. We Americans have a similar cuisine certainly borrowed from the UK. We think of British dishes as "regular" dishes while Italian or French or Chinese or Mexican are considered more exotic. Dinner today was baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I think many Americans would sneer at that but it is tasty and healthy fare. I imagine most Brits would like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing not to like. We Americans have a similar cuisine certainly borrowed from the UK. We think of British dishes as "regular" dishes while Italian or French or Chinese or Mexican are considered more exotic. Dinner today was baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I think many Americans would sneer at that but it is tasty and healthy fare. I imagine most Brits would like it.
I don’t know anyone who would sneer at that unless it wasn't cooked properly.

It was cooked to perfection. :)
Well given who cooked it I assumed so.

I suppose the "skinless boneless chicken breasts" crowd might have an issue with it because they assume that it has too much fat in it, but everyone knows that the chicken thighs stay moist. It's funny, because that fat makes excellent gravy, and some of those people would buy gravy in a jar (that's made with fat) and eat skinless boneless chicken breasts with the mashed potatoes and gravy, LOL. Chipotle uses skinless boneless chicken thighs at their restaurant, never breasts--bet some of their customers would be shocked to know that.

Veering way off topic here, LOL!

Well given who cooked it I assumed so.

I suppose the "skinless boneless chicken breasts" crowd might have an issue with it because they assume that it has too much fat in it, but everyone knows that the chicken thighs stay moist. It's funny, because that fat makes excellent gravy, and some of those people would buy gravy in a jar (that's made with fat) and eat skinless boneless chicken breasts with the mashed potatoes and gravy, LOL. Chipotle uses skinless boneless chicken thighs at their restaurant, never breasts--bet some of their customers would be shocked to know that.

Veering way off topic here, LOL!
The thighs were boneless and skinless. That might help a little. I browned the thighs in a skillet for 4 minutes per side. I added salt and pepper and put them in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. I then turned them and gave them 5 more minutes. Finally I covered them with an Asian style honey garlic glaze and gave them a final 5 minute bake. They got a total of 28 minutes of cooking and were cooked but moist and tasty. I've made them before so I know the timing down to the minute. :) I bake my muffins for 27 minutes at 350. Trust me, everything isn't cooked to perfection around here. Just some things some of the time. :)

I suppose the "skinless boneless chicken breasts" crowd might have an issue
I'm in that crowd, but not because of the fat or the skin - I just prefer chicken breasts because they're easier to use.
As for
Dinner today was baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I think many Americans would sneer at that but it is tasty and healthy fare. I imagine most Brits would like it.
Probably, both our nations cook pretty straightforward dishes. Meat and 2 veg; what's wrong with that? No, it doesn't have some complex sauce which was cooked for 3 days, strained, re-cooked with alcohol, reduced again, then sieved through a fine mesh, but so what? Gravy will do for me.

I rarely ever cook anything chicken related using the legs. Breast meat is healthier and tastier depending on what and how its marinated. I always make a mix of spices and oils nearly every time. Don't think I've ever made exactly the same marinade twice. Italian 5 spice, extra virgin olive oil and paprika. I like to finish off the chicken after being in the oven in the pan with some diced chorizo too. really tasty.

I'm in that crowd, but not because of the fat or the skin - I just prefer chicken breasts because they're easier to use.
As for

Probably, both our nations cook pretty straightforward dishes. Meat and 2 veg; what's wrong with that? No, it doesn't have some complex sauce which was cooked for 3 days, strained, re-cooked with alcohol, reduced again, then sieved through a fine mesh, but so what? Gravy will do for me.
You're not in the "sneer and turn your nose up" crowd as you'd eat them or cook with them (thighs) if that's what was there, I think. I also think you'd be happy to use the fat to make your own gravy.
Trust me, everything isn't cooked to perfection around here. Just some things some of the time. :)
I think most of us are like that, as in we have foods in our wheelhouse we could make in our sleep.

Mod. Edit: This post copied and following posts moved to form new topic (MG)

Maybe I'm not most Brits but I am not sure I would. It sounds far too plain to me and I wouldn't ever eat corn on the cob with mashed potato. Not sure if there is a sauce with this but I always eat mash alongside something with gravy or sauce. I think most Brits would but maybe I am wrong.

I would have seasoned the chicken with herbs or spices or something too. But maybe you did that?

I wouldn’t sneer at it but I also wouldn’t cook that combo.
Corn on the cob doesn’t really get served with mash here.
Defo prefer thighs to breast. I always find breast bland and I prefer the extra juiciness you get with the thighs.
As MG said mash here is nearly always served with gravy or a sauce and corn on the cob n gravy doesn’t sit that well with me.

I wouldn't ever eat corn on the cob with mashed potato.
The corn on the cob probably has to do with (a) local ingredients and (b) availability.
A few years ago, I drove from Cincinnati to Chicago. We passed more corn fields than I could ever have imagined. To steal a line from The Who:
(I see corn for ) miles, and miles, and miles, and miles and miles.
In Venezuela, a chicken dinner is often what they describe as "broasted", or rotisserie chicken. the rotisserie chicken is basted in bbq sauce and served (usually) with rice, or yucca and/or plantains.

I rarely ever cook anything chicken related using the legs. Breast meat is healthier and tastier depending on what and how its marinated. I always make a mix of spices and oils nearly every time. Don't think I've ever made exactly the same marinade twice. Italian 5 spice, extra virgin olive oil and paprika. I like to finish off the chicken after being in the oven in the pan with some diced chorizo too. really tasty.
I'm not sure there is much difference healthwise but the thighs are more flavorful in my view. But of course you should choose whatever you prefer. There are no rules in cooking, just suggestions. I use breasts and tenders more often but the thighs are just another cut to use.

Maybe I'm not most Brits but I am not sure I would. It sounds far too plain to me and I wouldn't ever eat corn on the cob with mashed potato. Not sure if there is a sauce with this but I always eat mash alongside something with gravy or sauce. I think most Brits would but maybe I am wrong.

I would have seasoned the chicken with herbs or spices or something too. But maybe you did that?
The chicken was seasoned with an Asian honey garlic glaze. The mashed potatoes had garlic butter and cream, salt and pepper. Corn on the cob just had butter and salt. I use garlic on almost everything. :)

I wouldn’t sneer at it but I also wouldn’t cook that combo.
Corn on the cob doesn’t really get served with mash here.
Defo prefer thighs to breast. I always find breast bland and I prefer the extra juiciness you get with the thighs.
As MG said mash here is nearly always served with gravy or a sauce and corn on the cob n gravy doesn’t sit that well with me.
You could always have a side of peas! (For anyone who doesn't already know, she dislikes peas so its a running joke).

Back
Top Bottom