Chicken dinners

You could always have a side of peas! (For anyone who doesn't already know, she dislikes peas so its a running joke).
I'm not a fan of canned peas but I like to add snow peas in my Oriental stir fry dishes. I use them pods and all.

Chicken dinner here would be piri piri chicken, pref cooked over charcoal with French fries.
Maybe some form of salad
I had to look it up. For others unfamiliar with it, piri piri is barbecued chicken served with French fries. It is a Portuguese dish brought to Mozambique by portuguese settlers. I don't any more but it sound like it would be a winner.

I'm not a fan of canned peas but I like to add snow peas in my Oriental stir fry dishes. I use them pods and all.
I dont much like canned peas either but I'll eat them if it's served to me at someone's house (thankfully that's never happened). I don't like any canned vegetables, really. I'd never buy them. Fresh or frozen only. I've never seen canned snow peas but doesn't sound good to me. They need to be bright and crisp! I have never heard of anyone who takes their snow peas out of the pod, that seems really odd to me. Why would anyone do that?

Last edited:
The corn on the cob probably has to do with (a) local ingredients and (b) availability.
A few years ago, I drove from Cincinnati to Chicago. We passed more corn fields than I could ever have imagined. To steal a line from The Who:
(I see corn for ) miles, and miles, and miles, and miles and miles.
In Venezuela, a chicken dinner is often what they describe as "broasted", or rotisserie chicken. the rotisserie chicken is basted in bbq sauce and served (usually) with rice, or yucca and/or plantains.
And those corn fields produce animal feed. The sweet corn we humans eat is grown in small quantities on vegetable farms. Corn actually originated in southern Mexico. It worked its way north over the centuries. It is a staple in American cuisine.

I had to look it up. For others unfamiliar with it, piri piri is barbecued chicken served with French fries. It is a Portuguese dish brought to Mozambique by portuguese settlers. I don't any more but it sound like it would be a winner.
Thanks
It's a firm favourite in most of Southern and Central Africa.
You may have heard of Nando's? They build their restaurants around it

Corn absolutely goes with mashed potatoes here, the same way peas do.
But is it served 'on the cob'? To me that means picking it up and gnawing off the kernels which seems odd when the meal would otherwise be eaten with a knife and fork.

I might serve peas with mash but there would always be gravy or sauce involved.

One of my favourite chicken dinners is probably a good Sunday roast chicken with sage and onion stuffing, sprouts and roast potatoes and plenty of gravy.

But is it served 'on the cob'? To me that means picking it up and gnawing off the kernels which seems odd when the meal would otherwise be eaten with a knife and fork.

I might serve peas with mash but there would always be gravy or sauce involved.

One of my favourite chicken dinners is probably a good Sunday roast chicken with sage and onion stuffing, sprouts and roast potatoes and plenty of gravy.
I rarely serve corn on the cob unless I am roasting it on the grill to get those char marks (with plenty of butter). Even then I slice it off the cob for my DH, and if it's just the two of us, I will do the same with mine. And that's only during late summer when the crops are harvested. The rest of the year I buy bagged frozen corn (off the cob). Also, I have been known to pick up a piece of chicken or two with my hands, LOL.

Chicken dinner here would be piri piri chicken, pref cooked over charcoal with French fries.
Maybe some form of salad
Down in the southern US, chicken dinner is nearly always fried chicken. I like chicken dinner served multiple ways: fried, baked, rotisserie, grilled, barbecued, etc. I think my favorite is fried though (depending on who is doing the frying). Up here in the Midwest (northeast OH) they have this type of fried chicken in a small nearby town (Barberton) that makes their famous...wait for it...Barberton chicken! People love it. I don't. It's passable, but I would rather have fried chicken from the nearby grocery store than eat Barberton chicken! I also like New Orlean's style chicken, like Popeye's (famous chain originated in Louisiana that now has locations all over the US).

Barberton Chicken | Traditional Fried Chicken Dish From Barberton | TasteAtlas

Turns out the cooking style originated in Serbia. Sorry Serbians, it's not great.

Down in the southern US, chicken dinner is nearly always fried chicken. I like chicken dinner served multiple ways: fried, baked, rotisserie, grilled, barbecued, etc. I think my favorite is fried though (depending on who is doing the frying). Up here in the Midwest (northeast OH) they have this type of fried chicken in a small nearby town (Barberton) that makes their famous...wait for it...Barberton chicken! People love it. I don't. It's passable, but I would rather have fried chicken from the nearby grocery store than eat Barberton chicken! I also like New Orlean's style chicken, like Popeye's (famous chain originated in Louisiana that now has locations all over the US).

Barberton Chicken | Traditional Fried Chicken Dish From Barberton | TasteAtlas

Turns out the cooking style originated in Serbia. Sorry Serbians, it's not great.

Interesting. Not sure why or how its Serbian though. It seems like a normal crumb coating but fried in lard. Is it the lard?

Barberton chicken or Serbian fried chicken is a regional specialty originating from Barberton. A whole, fresh chicken is cut into pieces that are dredged in flour, then eggs, and finally in a mixture of breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper before they are deep-fried in lard.

Yes, absolutely! Gnawing on a cob o’ corn is one of the great pleasures of summertime…until your teeth leave you, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom