Classic Prawn Cocktail

Spread yourself too thin and it’s pretty much a given in restaurant world that the quality will plummet.
I remember when Raymond Blanc Brasserie opened in Bristol it started off really well they bit by bit it went down hill until it was awful and you just wouldn’t go there.
But his main place Le Manoir Aux Quat’Saison is still an amazing place to eat.

Spread yourself too thin and it’s pretty much a given in restaurant world that the quality will plummet.

we did Bobby Flay's joint in Las Vegas. for an app, ordered oysters Rockefeller.
they arrived as hard rubber balls - inedible.
the waitstaff came, I 'complained' these are terrible - horribly over cooked!
response: "You should send Bobby an email."
that's was it - that was all - here's your bill.

one has to be rather picky about blindly doing 'celebrity stuff'
for example, DW was keen on Las Vegas Hells Kitchen.
walked in to look around. the hard rock music / whatever it was - was absolutely deafening.
absolutely no way I would pay money to be in there . . .
otoh, Hells Kitchen in DC - very much muted, very comfortable . . .
same celeb, same name, totally different reality.

I talk about this with my partner a lot. Anybody can build a nice restaurant and concept. But not everybody can produce a consistently good one. It is all about the execution. Like SSOP said, the more of them you open, the higher the chance of getting a few duds in there. It's about getting the right people. That's where the challenge is.

I've always thought that would be a good reality show concept. Build two or three identical restaurants in different locations and then follow them through and see who is doing better or worse. I'd bet they would both preform differently.

I talk about this with my partner a lot. Anybody can build a nice restaurant and concept. But not everybody can produce a consistently good one. It is all about the execution. Like SSOP said, the more of them you open, the higher the chance of getting a few duds in there. It's about getting the right people. That's where the challenge is.

I've always thought that would be a good reality show concept. Build two or three identical restaurants in different locations and then follow them through and see who is doing better or worse. I'd bet they would both preform differently.
I'd probably watch that!

Back
Top Bottom