corn on the cob debate

while we like corn on the cob, and eat it often , what we really like is what most would call creamed sweet corn, if i am up to helping the wife in Augest we will put up 300 ears in the freezer , when we do i will try to take some photos and show you what it looks like and how we cook it

I boil it. It's ready in about 20 minutes usually, but I test it before pulling it out of the (salted) water.
Venezuelan corn on the cob is incredibly chewy. I've got no idea why that is, but it is.
Possibly it’s not sweetcorn but one of the other types or a hybrid. Can’t remember what they are but sweetcorn is the softest with a short shelf life, the other varieties are generally tougher with a longer shelf life.

I have a recollection theres a yellow corn identical looking to sweetcorn that is tougher and not quite so sweet that is supposedly better for BBQing and long boils.

Is it the corn that has the huge kernels?
No; curiously enough it seems to be smaller kernels. Nothing like what I encountered in Mexico City. Typically it's chopped into pieces and used in traditional stews, soups or sancochos. We've had it grilled but, it tends to be a bit chewy. Might be the tropical weather, who knows? Makes it grow too fast.
1720804578683.png

No; curiously enough it seems to be smaller kernels. Nothing like what I encountered in Mexico City. Typically it's chopped into pieces and used in traditional stews, soups or sancochos. We've had it grilled but, it tends to be a bit chewy. Might be the tropical weather, who knows? Makes it grow too fast.
View attachment 115924
It looks the same, but maybe it's a different variety than what we grow here in the US? It grows really well here in Ohio, as I am sure you know.

I like white corn the best. I eat uncooked on or off the cob also. Uncooked cut off cob is good in salads.

sweet corn is not sweet corn is not sweet corn....
things change.
various hybrids - su, se, sse, sh2, sy . . .
long description here:
List of sweetcorn varieties - Wikipedia.

in the '50's, Silver Queen ruled the market - long since left in the dust....
The farmer's market we go that trades produce with some places up north had Jersey Silver Queen a week ago. It quickly sold out and they are waiting for more. Just looked at their Facebook page.

They do have garlic scapes now though. We may head up that way next week.

Here in Ohio the corn is naturally sweet. No need to add sugar.
I always do because:

1. Sweet doesn’t mean it can’t be sweeter
2. That’s what my mom and my grandmom did (which is probably the most important determinant). :laugh:

I also put some milk in the water. See #2 above.

I also salt it very heavily with table salt (not kosher), and some pepper, but the real treat is to put a couple of tablespoons of butter on a piece of bread, hold the bread in one hand, set the ear of corn in it, then run the corn back and forth, turning around and around, to coat the corn it melted butter, simultaneously buttering the bread, getting it soaked through and sopping wet.

When I was a kid, I’d occasionally get in trouble for buttering an ear that way, then putting the ear back on the platter, and just eating the bread, one slice after the other.

I always do because:

1. Sweet doesn’t mean it can’t be sweeter
2. That’s what my mom and my grandmom did (which is probably the most important determinant). :laugh:

I also put some milk in the water. See #2 above.

I also salt it very heavily with table salt (not kosher), and some pepper, but the real treat is to put a couple of tablespoons of butter on a piece of bread, hold the bread in one hand, set the ear of corn in it, then run the corn back and forth, turning around and around, to coat the corn it melted butter, simultaneously buttering the bread, getting it soaked through and sopping wet.

When I was a kid, I’d occasionally get in trouble for buttering an ear that way, then putting the ear back on the platter, and just eating the bread, one slice after the other.
Milk seems odd, but I am not judging, LOL. And while I also think that the sugar probably has no affect whatsoever, I get why you do it the way yer ma and grandma did it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I tend to just pour melted butter over it with some salt and pepper. The bread/buttering is a good idea but I really don't eat that much bread these days unless it's for a sandwich or garlic bread, so...

Back
Top Bottom