How much do these items cost where you live?

badjak

Über Member
Local time
5:24 AM
[Mod.Edit: This post and following few moved to form new topic (MG)]

I was quite upset the other day about the price of groceries..
So, a little game, how much would this have set you back at your place?
30 eggs
12 cans tonic water (375 ml each)
3 frozen chickens (1.9 kg each)
6 x 500 ml plain yoghurt
2 bottles (cheap) red wine
2 kg onions
1.5 kg tomatoes
6 bulbs garlic
500 gr Ginger
1 kg topside mince
1 kg back bacon
2.5 kg ap flour
2.5 kg brown flour
2.5 kg jasmine rice
8 kg dog food
300 gr ginger
1.5 kg butternut
1 kg salt
10 kg broken rice
2 x 100 teabags
3 kg chicken liver....

Last edited by a moderator:
300 gr ginger
Ginger is very expensive over here for some odd reason. 300grams will set you back AU$9 alone.
  • 30 eggs, - mine are free, but in the supermarket it varies depending on free range, caged or organic $6-8 per dozen
  • 12 cans tonic water (375 ml each) - I usually buy in 1.25L bottles for $1.20. Closest to your size would be 4×300ml at $7.20
  • 3 frozen chickens (1.9 kg each), no idea. They don't seem entire chickens frozen, only fresh, about $5/kg
  • 6 x 500 ml plain yoghurt, $7 for 900g (dairy yoghurt). But I make my own
  • 2 bottles (cheap) red wine - can't buy from a supermarket. But I can buy white for $10/ bottle
  • 2 kg onions - $5
  • 1.5 kg tomatoes - it's winter here, so $10/kg
  • 6 bulbs garlic, done by weight at $29/kg
  • 500 gr Ginger , $13.50
  • 1 kg topside mince, not a clue... lean mince is $15/kg apparently
  • 1 kg back bacon, no idea and searching only have short bacon and middle bacon, both at $14.50/kg
  • 2.5 kg ap flour $4.95/2kg
  • 2.5 kg brown flour $4.95/2kg
  • 2.5 kg jasmine rice, $6.50/2kg or $15/5kg
  • 8 kg dog food, $31
  • 300 gr ginger, in twice
  • 1.5 kg butternut, $3.50/kg
  • 1 kg salt, $2
  • 10 kg broken rice, can't buy in a supermarket
  • 2 x 100 teabags, $6.90
  • 3 kg chicken liver $7.50/kg

I was quite upset the other day about the price of groceries..
So, a little game, how much would this have set you back at your place?
30 eggs
12 cans tonic water (375 ml each)
3 frozen chickens (1.9 kg each)
6 x 500 ml plain yoghurt
2 bottles (cheap) red wine
2 kg onions
1.5 kg tomatoes
6 bulbs garlic
500 gr Ginger
1 kg topside mince
1 kg back bacon
2.5 kg ap flour
2.5 kg brown flour
2.5 kg jasmine rice
8 kg dog food
300 gr ginger
1.5 kg butternut
1 kg salt
10 kg broken rice
2 x 100 teabags
3 kg chicken liver....
Just checked out the prices from one of our big supermarkets. $212 total.
Really expensive items include $17 for the tonic water. I can buy a case (24 350ml bottles) of beer for that price. Yoghurt comes out at $30. Bacon $22. Jasmine rice (imported) $22.50 . And teabags would cost a mouthwatering $40.

Ok,
I'll stop complaining :wink:

SatNavSaysStraightOn comes to something around 250, excl the cheap cheap rice.
Not sure if thats Ozzie dollar or American though.

I paid about 115 U$

karadekoolaid
I can't believe the price of tea!
Tonic was 10 kw per can
Big beer from the retailer (750 ml) is 15 kw per bottle, making beer cheaper here as well.
Zambia grows Jasmine rice. It's more expensive than the other types. Close to the price of basmati
Youghurt about 1 U$ for a 500 ml tub
Bacon 2 U$ per 250 gr
Beef mince 4 U$ per kg

Groceries appear to be much less expensive in the US. I'm on my phone right now so its not easy for me to look up prices and metric conversions at the moment but I will later (some things on your list I don't buy) but I can tell you that I buy cage-free large eggs for $1.99 a dozen. Now that's on sale--theres a market 15 miles from me that has the sale every Thursday so I go every 3 weeks and get 4 dozen (they are normally about $5-$6 a dozen). Black tea is about $3-$4 for 100 tea bags depending on what brand. We have streaky bacon I pay $3 lb for, but again, I buy it on sale and buy in bulk and freeze it. It's normally closer to $6 lb.

That’s quite a list. I’ll pick and choose a few items at a time.

Eggs - well, first off, 30 is an unusual number of eggs to buy here, but it can be done. The cheapest option (using my local Kroger as my store) would be $5.50US, and the most expensive would be $15.50US…but wait, I just spied a 30-count option, $4.69US, but they’re medium eggs, the others are large eggs, and the recipe standard in the US is for large eggs, so I’d still get the large ones…

Tonic water - cheapest would be $5US for 12 cans, most expensive would be double that.

Chickens would be anywhere from $8US-$20US…each.

Our eggs are mixed sizes.
30 is a full tray.
The smaller option is 6.
In the local shops they will go per egg.

Mostly everything else is metric

That’s quite a list. I’ll pick and choose a few items at a time.

Eggs - well, first off, 30 is an unusual number of eggs to buy here, but it can be done. The cheapest option (using my local Kroger as my store) would be $5.50US, and the most expensive would be $15.50US…but wait, I just spied a 30-count option, $4.69US, but they’re medium eggs, the others are large eggs, and the recipe standard in the US is for large eggs, so I’d still get the large ones…

Tonic water - cheapest would be $5US for 12 cans, most expensive would be double that.

Chickens would be anywhere from $8US-$20US…each.
Are you buying organic and/or free range chickens? I can find "regular" chickens on sale for about $1 lb or less sometimes.

Some of the items I bought were on special...
I live far from the shops, so I buy all in one go (and then I get home and realise I forgotten a number of items)
I used to make paper lists, now I use my notes app on my phone.

Edited to add I might be closer to the shops but it's noisy where I live, unfortunately.

Are you buying organic and/or free range chickens? I can find "regular" chickens on sale for about $1 lb or less sometimes.
I have no idea, so I assume regular.
Free range would be village chicken with lots or miles on the clock.
Good for coq au vin and slow cooked curry

I have no idea, so I assume regular.
Free range would be village chicken with lots or miles on the clock.
Good for coq au vin and slow cooked curry
I was actually quoting and asking TastyReuben because he only lives a few hours from me and I was curious if prices vary much within our state.

4119046752-597.jpg

$8.69

7800015345-001.jpg

4 for $6.00

$1.50 was $1.89

Back
Top Bottom