How much do these items cost where you live?

Ok, adding that up, making some local allowances…I think that stuff would cost me around $170US.
And then there is currency exchange to figure out if your purchases would have cost much less.

There is no doubt that inflation is a problem all over the world, and yet somehow in our country people always want to blame it on the current administration...whoever might be in charge at the time.

I have no doubt if I put my mind to it, I could pay much less - for a start, some of that stuff, I’d buy at ALDI, which is generally cheaper.

I’d never pay $47 for 200 tea bags in one go…unless I were in the UK and shipping it home.

To answer a couple of things:
Broken rice is just the cheapest form of rice. It's for my dogs.
Dog food obviously is also for my dogs and it's the dry stiff (kibble).
Brown flour is a stupid thing. Got no bran, no nothing. Definitely not whole wheat.
But then: brown bread here, looks like sort of dirty white bread.
Whole wheat is available in the capital city but hugely expensive.
People here love their white bread

To answer a couple of things:
Broken rice is just the cheapest form of rice. It's for my dogs.
Dog food obviously is also for my dogs and it's the dry stiff (kibble).
Brown flour is a stupid thing. Got no bran, no nothing. Definitely not whole wheat.
But then: brown bread here, looks like sort of dirty white bread.
Whole wheat is available in the capital city but hugely expensive.
People here love their white bread
The sad sorry was about the brown flour...

Fully fully agree.
I would have to buy brown flour and bran and then put it all back together again (and I ain't humpty dumpty)
I do like white AP flour, but I tend to use oats and wheat germ to make my pancakes and sometimes breads. But I do love a fresh loaf of white bread (with no other flour/grains than white AP) straight out of the oven!

Going on the absolute cheapest version available at Morrisons (a supermarket that does budget version products) it comes to £121
But I had to alter some things like the tonic water cans for bottles (ours are 150mls and once multiplied up you simply wouldn’t buy it), the chicken livers are frozen and the dog food the cheapest kibble they sell. They dont sell broken rice so I went with the cheapest rice they sell at £1.25 a kg.
I wouldn’t drink their cheapest tea either so for me the £121 wouldn’t happen but it was doable for that even if there are quite a few low grade, low welfare ingredients I would not buy in that trolley!

Eggs, 10 in a cardboard box,prices vary, but I bought them for 2,69 euro the box. There were slightly cheaper and smaller ones, that I did not like. And slightly more expensive ones, that did not do much more.
Just 2 days ago, in a Lidl chain store. Fresh in my memory.

To make comparison easier, I've screenshotted some meat examples, eggs and tonic water. I did not remember much more of the original list. Oh tea, I forgot tea.

Possibly the prices might need to be put in relation to a salary, just to get a fuller perspective.

I forget what the national average is, but not too high, maybe I can look it up this week and re post. If you wish.

Screenshot_20240603_222913_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240603_222950_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240603_223000_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240603_223116_Chrome.jpg

I just picked up two curbside orders of groceries and essentials and I really didn't pay any attention to prices.
We're here on Oahu, so it is what it is.

12 count large (50-70g each egg average) $6.49
64 oz Half and Half $7.99
1.5 qt (1419ml) Macadamia Nut Ice Cream (and yes, this is a must have item for me) $14.99
2 10.5oz decafe Coffee $32.98
2 lbs. medium grain White Rice $6.49
3 liter bow white wine (the real cheap stuff) $32.99
1/2 gal. (1892ml) whole white milk $3.88 (not too bad for Hawaii)
6 8oz. cups of flavored yogurt $5.93

There's more stuff that I got, but not really part of this conversation, so ...
I want to say that Hawaii and NYC have some of the highest priced groceries in the country.
These prices are almost double what I pay in Cowboyville Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom