How much do these items cost where you live?

Yes but how big were the birds?
Here’s the fun part - Kroger (in their app, which is what I’m using to price things) shows a per-pound cost, followed by the typical cost for the whole bird.

Their cheapest is $1.49/lb, but looking at typical price, it’s a 6-lb chicken. Next, they have one for $2.99/lb (the one I’d buy), and their typical chicken works out to be a 4-lb bird, and their most expensive, $3.99/lb, that’s for a 5-lb one, so it’s not even that easy comparing one to the other in the store. :laugh:

Cheapest on the yogurt, for that much, would be about $13, the most expensive would be around $19.50.

Wine…Kroger has a lot of wine, so I just went through the first few pages and saw bottles for as cheap as $5 and as expensive as $57. When I buy wine at Kroger, I usually shoot for no more than $13, but I usually get my wines from ALDI, which are anywhere from $5 to $9, and are excellent everyday wines for us.

Onions - $5.40 for that amount of onions, purchased loose. 3-lb bags are $3, but there are always a couple of rotten ones in there.

I can't believe the price of tea!
We're a coffee producing country. 1kg of coffee costs $10-12 a kilo. A bottle of gin is pretty rare too - but rum is about $12 a litre. Coke is way cheaper than tonic water for that reason: rum & coke vs gin & tonic!

Tomatoes - bulk Roma tomatoes would be about $3US, but they’d be awfully poor quality right now.

Garlic - I just bought some, $3.50.

Ginger - the non-organic is just marked as “Price may vary,” but the organic is $3.50.

Ground round (I think that’s what we call topside): about $17.50.

Back bacon: that would be Canadian bacon here, and it’s sold only in small packs, so to get enough for 1kg, it’d be about $18. A larger place might have it in the deli for cheaper.

AP flour: flour is generally sold in 5-lb bags here, and that would be as cheap as $2.69 or as expensive as $10.99. The one I buy is $5.99.

I think the flour was around 3 U$ per 2.5 kg.
Coffee is expensive here. Its seen as a luxury product as lots of people drink (very poor quality) instant coffee

Coffee is expensive here. Its seen as a luxury product as lots of people drink (very poor quality) instant coffee
Coffee is the same as everything else - there are very cheap products to buy, and then there are insanely expensive ones.

I currently spend $16 on 40oz of whole bean coffee, from Sam’s Club. That’s a bargain, especially for whole bean. The next cheapest whole bean is $18 for 32oz, from ALDI.

By comparison, MrsT’s fancy flavored decaf is $20 for 12oz.

Ground coffee can be really cheap - I can get 48oz of that for less than $10.

I meant to say that filter coffee, French press coffee etc is considered a luxury product.
The instant coffee is a chichory blend.
Nescafe and the like are luxury products again.
I avoid instant coffee. I just don't like it, so I'm prepared to pay.
I buy whole beans and grind them. I only drink 1 cup a day, so the expense is justified in my book :wink:

Brown flour - assuming that means whole wheat flour, 5-lb bags are $4.30 to $6.50 (that’s the one I buy).

Jasmine rice: $6-$9 for 5-lb bags.

Dog food: this can be super-cheap to outrageously expensive, depending on what you’re buying, but dry food would be anywhere from $15-$30 for around that much, but it’s really all over the place.

That much in premium fresh dog food is about $60. That’s what we were feeding our Kate the last two years or so of her life, because she struggled with dry at that point.

Ok, you have ginger twice, so unless it’s powdered, I’m skipping that one.

Butternut squash - a whole one would be about $4.25.

Salt - closest to that weight would be 79¢, or up to $1.70 for the name-brand.

Broken rice - I had to look that up and we don’t have that here.

Tea - $11.50 for 200 Lipton bags, $47 for 200 Twinings. I buy big boxes of PG Tips at the international market, though, and it’s nowhere near that expensive.

Ok, adding that up, making some local allowances…I think that stuff would cost me around $170US.

Broken rice - I had to look that up and we don’t have that here.

Tea - $11.50 for 200 Lipton bags, $47 for 200 Twinings. I buy big boxes of PG Tips at the international market, though, and it’s nowhere near that expensive.
Yeah, I think I paid $6 for 2 100-ct bags of Newman's Own organic tea (it was buy one get one free) at our local regional grocery store here.

Back
Top Bottom