Ice ice baby...

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:52 PM
[Mod.edit: This post and lots of others moved to a new topic (MG)]

Tired of buying bags of ice, though.
One of my brother Lee’s quirks is he’s an ice purist. He won’t use home ice at all.

When he was in the habit of spending the weekend at my house every couple of months, he’d stop at the gas station just around the corner and get his own Home City branded ice, store it in the bag in his spotlessly-clean dedicated ice cooler, and make all his drinks using that ice. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my brother Lee’s quirks is he’s an ice purist. He won’t use home ice at all.

When he was in the habit of spending the weekend at my house every couple of months, he’d stop at the gas station just around the corner and get his own Home City branded ice, store it in the bag in his spotlessly-clean dedicated ice cooler, and make all his drinks using that ice. :laugh:
Well at home I don’t care, ice is ice but I do like it when you go somewhere nice and you’re served a drink with ice made from distilled water. All beautifully clear.

Our water is sweet from a deep well then runs through the filter in the refrigerator. Doesn't get much better. But everyone has their quirks!
Probably a good option, I am not aware ...would it be more economic, too? Instead of buying bags of ice multiple times?
That's basically why I want it. It would pay for itself in a year. Plus it's an inconvenience to have to stop what I'm doing (could be cooking dinner) to run down to the store for ice. They are small and portable so probably it would be stored in my pantry when not needed. Also would be convenient to have for dinner parties.

I am thinking a counter-top ice maker. The one in our kitchen refrigerator/freezer (nearly 20 years old) is like a cantankerous old woman and only works when she wants to. She will just stop dropping ice and we reboot her several times and sometimes she will start back up and other times not. If we buy a bag of ice and pour it in the ice bin, more often than not she will start back up on her own when she feels like it. Tired of buying bags of ice, though.
Here's what mine looks like. :whistling:
Ice Maker..jpg

would pay for itself in a year. Plus it's an inconvenience to have to stop what
Yes, it sounds also time and personal energy consuming. Well then all reasons, as you well say, speak for it. Are there specific brands or features you consider or just any solid?

Yes, it sounds also time and personal energy consuming. Well then all reasons, as you well say, speak for it. Are there specific brands or features you consider or just any solid?
I've been looking at a few. I like one that only costs $100 (plus tax) Magic Chef. My DH for some reason doesn’t think i should buy one but if he's not paying for it I don't see why he should care. I might get a different brand once I go to the store and talk to the appliance person. I don't want to spend more than $150.

I am thinking a counter-top ice maker. The one in our kitchen refrigerator/freezer (nearly 20 years old) is like a cantankerous old woman and only works when she wants to. She will just stop dropping ice and we reboot her several times and sometimes she will start back up and other times not. If we buy a bag of ice and pour it in the ice bin, more often than not she will start back up on her own when she feels like it. Tired of buying bags of ice, though.

Edited to add that more and more often I am possibly a cantankerous old woman...okay I really do have some work to do so I better quit lollygagging about, LOL
Well DH bought a small bag of ice last night and filled the bin in the kitchen freezer, and we used about half of it before bed (him with cocktails and both of us with ice water), and my plan was for today to go buy that counter-top ice maker. This morning when I got up to get ice water before making tea, I heard the ice drop and checked and the bin was full. She (our cantankerous old biddy ice machine) made ice all night. So I will put the counter-top ice maker purchase on hold for now.

Edited to add that more and more often I am possibly a cantankerous old woman...okay I really do have some work to do so I better quit lollygagging about, LOL
Wow, you got a refrigerator to last 20 years? Impressive.

Wow, you got a refrigerator to last 20 years? Impressive.
Yeah, my oven too! Purchased at the same time. The microwave which is an over-the-stove model also still works, but the lighbulb inside of it went out. So far out of the 3 appliances we have only had that issue and the one with the ice maker in the kitchen freezer. Got a chest freezer in the garage that's probably 15 years old and still going strong. Knocking on some wood here...

Back
Top Bottom