Ice ice baby...

Now it’s hard to be served things without ice, the glass is filled with it even if you ask for none.
On a somewhat related note, I’ve made that observation about several different things when visiting the UK over the last several years - in a lot of little ways (and some not so little), it’s becoming more and more Americanized.

I’d be straight onto buying another. I dislike the way warm mixer’s and ice give you a mouthful of some icey and some warm drink.
Well I say dislike, I’d certainly drink and several more it but it wouldn’t be my optimum.
When I first started drinking I worked at a restaurant/bar and was a bartender so it really doesn't bother me.

On a somewhat related note, I’ve made that observation about several different things when visiting the UK over the last several years - in a lot of little ways (and some not so little), it’s becoming more and more Americanized.
That has escalated at speed over the last few years. Helped along by the streaming services being full to the brim with American programming and Google deciding to remove the filter that gave us UK results. American search results are given even if you put ‘UK’ at the end of what you’re typing.

America being a much larger population means there is also a hell of lot more American content on everything, that’s what the kids are fed so that’s what they lean towards.
Mostly it doesn’t bother me but sometimes when I want to know how something works in the UK and I can only get American results it p*sses me off.

Couple of days ago I wanted to know the food standard on something in this country but Google would only tell me what the FDA had to say about it which wasn’t helpful. Heyho.

I don’t really understand what being a bartender has to do with how cold you like your drinks?
Because that's how I made them when I first started drinking: alcohol, ice, and if it was soda or tonic, it wasn't cold (juice and some others obviously were chilled somewhat). So I liked and still like my mixed drinks with ice. I didn't say I didn't like them cold, but if I drank them like you do with no ice, they wouldn't be very cold at all.

Because that's how I made them when I first started drinking: alcohol, ice, and if it was soda or tonic, it wasn't cold (juice and some others obviously were chilled somewhat). So I liked and still like my mixed drinks with ice. I didn't say I didn't like them cold, but if I drank them like you do with no ice, they wouldn't be very cold at all.

I'm ice nuts as well that's why I bought a fridge with ice maker in it. I fill my glass to the top then add alcohol and then mix.
My kids even bought me a portable ice maker for when we go on holiday .
When away I would go thru about 2 to 3 bags of ice @ $5 'a time.

Russ

My refrigerator is always pretty much packed with food, not room to keep beverages (other than beer) in it.
That’s one thing I used to hate about visiting my in-laws - for whatever reason, pop was never, ever put in the fridge, even if there was room (and there always was).

You wanted a pop? Off to the pantry, where there’d be several 12-packs, pour one in a glass with ice, and…ice immediately began to melt. I hated that.

I remember walking to a pubby-restauranty place in the UK, and the fellow had a dozen or more little baby glass bottles of Coke up on shelves above the bar. I thought they were there for show, like a display, and it worked, because I suddenly wanted a Coke - they were so cute!

I expected him to reach below the bar into a fridge to pull out a chilled one…nope, he stepped up on one of the lower shelves, grabbed one right off the wall, cracked it open, and he gave me a little half-pint glass to pour it in. Room temp fizzy Coke…😒

I’ll say, though, that I’m a weirdo with drinks like that, because I generally don’t drink with my meal. Drinks always come out first, so I’ll drink about half, then the food comes, and I’ll eat my food, then drink the other half after I’ve eaten, so the ice is helpful that way, in keeping it cold over the time it takes to eat my food, and hopefully, the drink was cold going in, so the melting would be at a minimum.

Find me a pub in London (or outside, for that matter) that doesn't serve burgers, chicken wings, smothered nachos or mac & cheese.Oh, and pizza with peperoni.
Well there probably are some, but since many pubs are franchised to just a few breweries, and they impose the menus these days.
American vocabulary has been creeping into Britain for years. When I was teaching EFL in London, we had a senior teacher whose English was impeccable. The proper stuff, right , guv? :laugh: I remember him saying to a student one day, something like : "Good morning, Diego, hoe are you today?"
"I'm good, teacher, and you?"
Response as quick as greased lightning: "GOOD?? Good at what? You mean fine, dear boy.":laugh::laugh:

And on the question of ice - over here, ice is mandatory. Well the temperature makes a difference, of course!
The most popular drinks over here are beer (ice cold), whisky and rum.
Ask for a beer in a restaurant or bar and it will come direct from a fridge, usually at about 3-4C.
Ask for a whisky and the first thing the barman/barmaid will do is take a tall glass and fill it with ice. Then in goes the whisky (no measures - what for??:laugh:) and it's usually topped up with water.
Rum is a little different because Venezuelan rum is exceedingly good, and protected by law. Usually, a rum means rum & coke, so glass full of ice, rum, coke and a slice of lime. However, a really fine rum is usually served with one or two cubes of ice, or no ice at all.

And on the question of ice - over here, ice is mandatory. Well the temperature makes a difference, of course!
The most popular drinks over here are beer (ice cold), whisky and rum.
Ask for a beer in a restaurant or bar and it will come direct from a fridge, usually at about 3-4C.
Ask for a whisky and the first thing the barman/barmaid will do is take a tall glass and fill it with ice. Then in goes the whisky (no measures - what for??:laugh:) and it's usually topped up with water.
Rum is a little different because Venezuelan rum is exceedingly good, and protected by law. Usually, a rum means rum & coke, so glass full of ice, rum, coke and a slice of lime. However, a really fine rum is usually served with one or two cubes of ice, or no ice at all.
something tells me you drink a lot haha

well i do have freinds that drink , in fact i did up until i was about 35, then something in me just said "thats enough, time to quit" nothing wrong with drinking IF you can handle it,
but a lot of folks can't , and i think i would have been one of them
It's fabulous your inner spirit is strong enough to keep your mind informed. You're blessed.

I do not often put ice in my drinks. Just occasionally. I keep my drinks as cold as I can.
Here: lager is served ice and ice cold if there is a fridge. Close to freezing.
But if there is no fridge they are served and drank as is.

Funny story
In Uganda, in the middle of nowhere, this small village had one fridge running on a genny.
Fridge was packed with beer, all coke and fanta were left outside.
Lovely country :)

Neigbouring Kenya likes warm beer :(

Back
Top Bottom