Recipe My Baked Beans

grumpyoldman

Local time
7:48 PM
you can't have a BBQ without baked beans ,
i once was in the BBQ business and i was always looking for ways to stand out from other BBQ joints,
one thing i came up with was MY baked beans ( no one else made them like i did )
here is how i made em : here in the U.S we buy canned baked beans and use them as a base if you will,
i then added brown sugar , onions , bell pepper, tomato sauce a little salt ,and heavy on the black pepper,
pretty standard stuff so far huh ? but then i would add very finely chopped Pepperoni (no bacon bits in my baked beans )
people LOVED the dang things , so much so that i had to start selling the beans by themselves in 1/2 pints and pints, on a normal day i would use about 4 gallons of beans but on holidays i would go through a good 12- 15 gallons of them ,
we still make them at home but we never measure anything just put in what looks right .
try this and you will be amazed how fast they will disappear off your table

I'm wondering if I could make a bean dish from dried beans, using the waterpan in the smoky mountain, getting meat dripping and spices in the bowl and adding whatever else needed.
Disclaimer: I only know tinned baked beans, not the baked beans described by Grumpy.
Not a fan (the canned stuff. Too sweet for me), and definitely won't eat them on toast :)

I'm wondering if I could make a bean dish from dried beans, using the waterpan in the smoky mountain, getting meat dripping and spices in the bowl and adding whatever else needed.
Disclaimer: I only know tinned baked beans, not the baked beans described by Grumpy.
Not a fan (the canned stuff. Too sweet for me), and definitely won't eat them on toast :)
no offense intended, but i have no idea what that would be like,
here in ths U.S we have a brand called "Bushes baked beans " and everyone i know uses that as a starter for baked beans adding whatever they like to my them " their baked beans "

Last edited:
Yes, I have made them from dried beans before. It gives you a broader canvas to add your own ingredients and avoid preservatives and additives that come in those canned/tinned baked beans. I don't eat baked beans really, but I know how to make them pretty tasty and others have raved about them. I am sure you could come up with something that would please your palate.

I personally don't love baked beans and I always skip them at US outdoor cooking events. Like this Saturday we are going to a party at one of my DH's cousin's house and he is cooking meats on his outdoor grill. Someone is making baked beans and another bringing potato salad but I am not a fan of either (other than the kind of potato salad that I make) so I offered to bring garlic cheddar mashed potatoes in the crockpot (AKA slow cooker)--that way I know I have something to eat that I will like!

I never understood the British affection for beans on toast (sorry UK friends). At breakfast. With eggs. Or like our dear friend rascal from NZ who will eat them cold out of the can! Of course he can't understand my love for potatoes at breakfast, LOL!

The only baked beans here are heinz (Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce) or some cheaper brands.
And yes, they come with breakfast.
And some people eat them on toast and even worse, some want them on toast with a slice of processed cheese on top (gotta be the ultimate in fine dining :) )

The only baked beans here are heinz (Heinz baked beans in tomato sauce) or some cheaper brands.
And yes, they come with breakfast.
And some people eat them on toast and even worse, some want them on toast with a slice of processed cheese on top (gotta be the ultimate in fine dining :) )
Honestly, since I have never tried beans on toast, I shouldn't be critical of it. Cheese and beans is hard to fathom but I like both ingredients so maybe sometime I will give it a whirl, but it won't be canned beans and definitely no sugar added. I do like ham and ban soup with garlic, potatoes, carrots, etc. My favorite bean dishes are all savory.

I think Heinz is the most popular in the UK as well?

must admit i am somewhat dumbfounded at your reluctance about useing canned beans , never even considered using anything else myself

must admit i am somewhat dumbfounded at your reluctance about useing canned beans , never even considered using anything else myself
Is that to me?
If so, I just suppose the quality of beans you can get gotta be a whole lot better than what I can get....

Not sure who you are talking to, but I don't like canned baked beans much (I will use plain canned beans in chili and other stuff if I don't have time to make them from scratch). It's the added sugar thing that turns me off mostly. I am not anti-sugar, I just like to be able to control the amount (and salt, etc.) added to various dishes myself, and likely there would be very little sugar added if any to beans because I don't like sweet beans.

Is that to me?
If so, I just suppose the quality of beans you can get gotta be a whole lot better than what I can get....
I'll be in a grocery store later today and will try to remember to snap a photo of the canned beans section. It's ginormous!

Is that to me?

no it was for JAS, i understand your limited availability of certain things

JAS : man i'm glad all my customers weren't like you haha
and by the way , we are cooking baked beans , potato salad and BBQed pork chops for supper tonight

grumpyoldman
Just out of curiosity...
Have you ever made them bbq beans from dried white beans (soaking etc)
I know it is a lot more work, but if you did, I would like to know how you thought the 2 versions compare

no ...but its something i'm willing to try, what kinda dried beans are we talking about ?

Back
Top Bottom