Recipe My Baked Beans

ok Navy beans it is : i will buy some probaly next week and when i make them i will let you know

I use Bush's Original baked beans. For 1 regular sized can, 15 oz maybe?, I start with 4 slices of regular cut bacon in an 8x8 glass baking dish. Cook the bacon in the microwave until just starting to crisp. While the bacon is cooking, I fairly finely chop some onion and green bell pepper, around 1/2 cup each. When the bacon is done, I take it out of the baking dish and add the vegetables, mixing with the bacon grease. The dish is covered with plastic wrap, back in the microwave for several minutes until the onion is translucent. The vegetables are turned out onto some paper towels to drain the worst of the bacon grease, then back into the dish with the canned baked beans, the crumbled up bacon, plus some dry mustard and some brown sugar, the latter 2 to taste as I can't remember how much I use, as it's been a long time. They can be finished either in the microwave or oven until they are hot and bubbling around the edges. The oven will give a nice little crust at the edges.

I don't particularly like baked beans, so I only make them when Craig really wants them or if we are going to a potluck.

My baked beans are always a hit and I've been told by many they are the best they've ever had.

Last edited:
ok Navy beans it is : i will buy some probaly next week and when i make them i will let you know
Are you going to make a savory dish with them? My question is, if you are making baked beans, why not keep doing it the way that works for you and your wife and friends? I'm just sayin' if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you are interested in making a savory bean dish then by all means, experiment!

here in ths U.S we have a brand called "Bushes baked beans
I love them and when I'm in the US, I buy them.
Love your idea of adding some pepperoni to the mix.
My son (who lives there, but also spent a year in the UK) hates them. He'll say "HEY! Why didn't you buy Heinz baked beans???"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I think British baked beans are made with Haricot beans. I've tried to make them at home (failed miserably) but have also used canelli beans (white) and pinto beans. Never tried with black-eyed peas, but why not?
And I still have no idea why I prefer tinned baked beans to homemade. Perhaps you just have to cook them for 24 hours. That's the only justifiable use I could think of for a slow cooker:D:D:D

Are you going to make a savory dish with them? My question is, if you are making baked beans, why not keep doing it the way that works for you and your wife and friends? I'm just sayin' if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you are interested in making a savory bean dish then by all means, experiment!
its not that i am planning on replacing what we are doing , i just thought it might be something to experamint with since i have never tried anything like it before

karadekoolaid , i found the heinz beans you mentioned on amazon i might try them sometime​

Last edited:
its not that i am planning on replacing what we are doing , i just thought it might be something to experamint with since i have never tried anything like it before

karadekoolaid , i found the heinz beans you mentioned on amazon i might try them sometime​

Yes, trying new things and new ways to do things is good. Challenging yourself is good.

in the US I have seen a couple UK Heinz products - they are different that the US products . . .

. . . . to keep in mind . . . baked beans are not a fast food.
you can pre-soak overnight, or not.
the cook time is longer for 'not pre-soaked' - but I always taste a couple 'in progress' to judge doneness.
kitchen rumors say add salt toward the end, as salt early on 'makes them tough' - no clue if it's true, but I follow the rumor anyway...

long time at a very gentle simmer . . . when the beans are 'done/nearly done' then start building sauces/flavors.

just my method of madness . . . others will certain have improvements/suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom