Recipe My Baked Beans

pintos, we have in the house , the dried lima beans i'll have to get when i go shopping
so give me some ideas of the ingredients that might go in them

Tricky one
As I don't know what's in the tinned (canned) beans you normally use.

But basically the same recipe you posted already, probably increasing tomato ketchup? Maybe some fresh tomato as well?

i'll try it with the pintos , and let you know what happens , would you drain off the water after the beans are cooked and then make the baked beans ?

When I’ve made baked beans from scratch (not often, as I’m not a huge fan of them, except in certain circumstances), I’ve always used navy beans.

Not familiar with navy beans.

At Grumpy:
I would soak the beans, then regresh water, boil and use the boiling water if you need the liquid.
I've always been told to cook beans hard for the first 10 minutes and not to add salt or acidic ingredients when boiling.
If you want the beans to go really soft, you can add baking powder when cooking.
I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to cook them.
You could use a pressure cooker / instan pot as well

this is the kind of canned beans i use, i just did a bit of research and learned that these beans are navy beans

bushes.jpg

I have used both canned (Heinz & Bush, typically) and dried.

there is no question in my tastes . . . 'from dried' is seriously superior.
primarily due to the texture issue.
canned beans are always all mushy. from dried have more snap.

you'll need to work out your own seasonings - pretty simple,,,
tomato something
salt
sugar
pepper
then the flavor modifiers
garlic
onion / leek << leek is a secret!
smoked pork/beef

etc.

JAS : man i'm glad all my customers weren't like you haha
and by the way , we are cooking baked beans , potato salad and BBQed pork chops for supper tonight
I like pork chops! I prefer them fried or just grilled w/o BBQ sauce though.

I'm not a hard customer to please as long as there is other stuff on the menu to order. If I were guest in your house I'd not say a peep and I'd just take very small portions.

Our big food company here used to be watties but they are now owned by Heinz. No change in favour. I think from reading labels they are haricot beans. Our chilly beans are a different bean. Also in a tin.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom