Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Stove

Wow they are big ribs!
I don’t think UK ribs hold a candle to those!
When you get to the US next year on yer bike, you'll find that most things in the US are bigger :D :D
And that's not meant in a sarcastic way, it's just very true.
The cars are bigger, the houses are bigger, the highways are bigger, the servings are bigger; even the people are bigger! The US is just, well, bigger!😍

When you get to the US next year on yer bike, you'll find that most things in the US are bigger :D :D
The cars are bigger, the houses are bigger, the highways are bigger, the servings are bigger; even the people are bigger! The US is just, well, bigger!😍
I have noticed everything is supersized compared with here.
But the ribs did surprise me!

Also visiting American’s spend some time commenting on how small every thing here is, especially our roads which they don’t like too well but that’s what you get if your country’s infrastructure is based on horse and cart width roads 😂

Last edited:
Never been, but I've seen it in recipes etc with a chicken or turkey breast being almost the same weight as the standard whole bird here :)

I think maybe the houses here are on par. Not sure, but whenever I go back to Europe I find the houses real small.

And a funny one, on the roads designed for horse and cart:
The roads in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe were designed so a cart with a 6 span of oxen could turn around in one go :)
It's now a road with parking in the middle. It's huge!

Never been, but I've seen it in recipes etc with a chicken or turkey breast being almost the same weight as the standard whole bird here :)

I think maybe the houses here are on par. Not sure, but whenever I go back to Europe I find the houses real small.

And a funny one, on the roads designed for horse and cart:
The roads in Bulawayo in Zimbabwe were designed so a cart with a 6 span of oxen could turn around in one go :)
It's now a road with parking in the middle. It's huge!
Ah yes cattle driving in this country is supposed to hold everyone up for as long as possible, we do like a bit on inconvenience 😆

i think the reason you thought my ribs were so much bigger than yours is because the picture of my ribs were " spare ribs " and yours are "baby back ribs " and thus the size difference

i think the reason you thought my ribs were so much bigger than yours is because the picture of my ribs were " spare ribs " and yours are "baby back ribs " and thus the size difference
I guessed that, spare ribs are sold in the uk cut into individual ribs, there are no racks unless you order them online or find a willing butcher.

isn't it strange how even meat is cut and sold differantly from one country to another ?
here a butcher would never cut spare ribs into separate pieces , in any supermarket in the U.S you can buy both spare ribs and baby backs in whole slabs , i have never asked but i'm sure the butcher would cut them up for me/you if asked

isn't it strange how even meat is cut and sold differantly from one country to another ?
here a butcher would never cut spare ribs into separate pieces , in any supermarket in the U.S you can buy both spare ribs and baby backs in whole slabs , i have never asked but i'm sure the butcher would cut them up for me/you if asked
It is strange, a hangover from the past.
You don’t see spare ribs a lot here full stop.
When people say “ribs” they mean what you call baby back ribs never spare ribs which you don’t see much. I think one supermarket sells them cut up but the places you’d expect to find them you won’t 🤷‍♀️

is a boston butt the same there as it is here ?, maybe with just a different name , ?
here the boston butt's come off the front shoulder , then we get a cut from just below the boston butt thats called the pork shoulder ,
i have no idea why that front part is called what it is but in the past i have had to argue with butcher's that said a boston butt was a pork shoulder
but they are not !! the boston butt an pork shoulder have different bones in them ,
the boston butt only has 1 blade bone and the pork shoulder has 2 round bones

is a boston butt the same there as it is here ?, maybe with just a different name , ?
here the boston butt's come off the front shoulder , then we get a cut from just below the boston butt thats called the pork shoulder ,
i have no idea why that front part is called what it is but in the past i have had to argue with butcher's that said a boston butt was a pork shoulder
but they are not !! the boston butt an pork shoulder have different bones in them ,
the boston butt only has 1 blade bone and the pork shoulder has 2 round bones
Here it used to be called neck end but no one would have known that because they removed the bone, rolled it and sold it as a cheapish roasting joint.
Now the term Boston Butt is very much here and has been for quite a while. It is usually applied to packaging on meat that’s already been slow cooked, there’s also usually a sachet of some gawd awful super sweet sauce which if you have any sense you disregard!

As a nation we are generally pretty ignorant about anything other than the obvious standard supermarket cuts of meat.
We rely on the supermarkets to grade and price meats accordingly without knowing exactly what part of the animal we are buying.

As a nation we are generally pretty ignorant about anything other than the obvious standard supermarket cuts of meat.
We rely on the supermarkets to grade and price meats accordingly without knowing exactly what part of the animal we are buying.
don't feel bad , most Americans are the same way

don't feel bad , most Americans are the same way
Yep, and names of cuts change based on region. Drives me crazy, because what I know as one thing will be called something else somewhere else, and I’m forever looking up variations of cuts of meat based on whatever recipe I’m looking at.

back when i was running my BBQ joint i bought several cases of ribs and boston butts
every week so when i bought 3 case's of boston butts and they were all pork shoulders
i kinda came unglued , i confronted the butcher ( at Sams club ) about it he kept saying it was the same thing .....until hee hee i told him since he though they were the same why not lets just prove it , i grabbed a Boston butt out of the display case , got a pork shoulder out of one of the cases he was trying to sell me and walked into the back where they cut meat , then i grabbed a boning knife and unwrapped the boston butt and put it on the table and procceded to debone it in 4 cuts , handed him the knife and asked him to do the same with the pork shoulder ...needless to say that ended the argument !! then he an i had to dig through 7-8 cases marked boston butts that were pork shoulders, before we found enough to replace my 3 cases, he said that he would let corpt. know about the problem and to be honest i never had another problem with them being mislabled

Back
Top Bottom