Old Cooks’ Tales

I don't think I've ever peeled a cucumber.
I was told that most of the goodies in fruit and veg were in and just below the skin
I think cucumbers were considered the exception to that rule because that was definitely passed down by my grandmother.

Edit- had a quick google, apparently cucumbers do cause stomach ache because although they’re mainly water they’re hard to digest. A compound called ‘cucurbitin‘ was mentioned, I dunno I have to continue to peel them as I can’t break my training 😂

Last edited:
Cukes always got peeled when I was a kid because of the type of cuke they were - very thick, tough skin.

Then, at point, we started seeing “English/Burpless” cukes sold in the stores, specifically marketed as having a very thin skin, meant for consuming (and very small seeds as well). That’s why they’re wrapped in thick plastic (here, at least), because they’re somewhat fragile.

Cukes always got peeled when I was a kid because of the type of cuke they were - very thick, tough skin.

Then, at point, we started seeing “English/Burpless” cukes sold in the stores, specifically marketed as having a very thin skin, meant for consuming (and very small seeds as well). That’s why they’re wrapped in thick plastic (here, at least), because they’re somewhat fragile.
Me too. I've gotten to where I don't like the regular ones and quit buying them a decade ago. Too watery, too many seeds. I always leave the skin on the English cukes. I think with the seeded kind they wax them, too.

Can anyof you send a pic of the "regular" cucumber?
As the English cucumber is the regular one in the Netherland

Can anyof you send a pic of the "regular" cucumber?
As the English cucumber is the regular one in the Netherland

This is what it looks like but the cut one in the pic has smaller seeds than they normally do. Normally they're quite pulpy. SlicerCucumber-Featured.jpg

This is what it looks like
Exactly right! The one I had for lunch today was exactly like the one pictured.
I recall some of my Grandma's friends removed the seeds prior to tzatziki, or the tarator soup...we did not. I don't mind the seeds. Probably a habit. As long as it is ok with my digestion, will proceed.

This is what it looks like but the cut one in the pic has smaller seeds than they normally do. Normally they're quite pulpy.View attachment 116244
More like this:
20240719_102631.jpg

Exactly right! The one I had for lunch today was exactly like the one pictured.
I recall some of my Grandma's friends removed the seeds prior to tzatziki, or the tarator soup...we did not. I don't mind the seeds. Probably a habit. As long as it is ok with my digestion, will proceed.
The seeds are healthier I'm sure. But the English variety works better in tzatziki. I think cucumber is good for digestion.

I’d never known anything other than the English cucumber for the majority of my life so the first time I had a ridge cucumber I wasn’t happy 😆

The English cucumbers I bought on the other day that are grown here have been my favourite so far, no watery seeds (in fact the seeds are barely visible) just firm cucumbery flavour though out.

I’ll even confess I ate a whole one with no dressing, it just tasted so good I couldn’t stop 😂
Got two more chopped into the tzatziki potatoes to go with the ribs later.

Took a pic of the cucumber for you because I’ve never seen cucumbers with seeds so integrated into the flesh before.
Then I realised I’m a sad geek and didn’t post it, but here we are so here you go 😁
IMG_3502.jpeg

For some reason my DH doesn't love cucumber. He likes it in tzatziki sauce though.
Naturally, everybody has his/her restrictions and preferences.

Last week, on our walk, I brought some homemade herbal icetea, and my boyfriend made a grinning face after the first sip. 😆 He simply does not like tea, and herbal in particular. He says it's only for sickness.

And he only had water later.😄🤷‍♀️

Naturally, everybody has his/her restrictions and preferences.

Last week, on our walk, I brought some homemade herbal icetea, and my boyfriend made a grinning face after the first sip. 😆 He simply does not like tea, and herbal in particular. He says it's only for sickness.

And he only had water later.😄🤷‍♀️
I think you mean grimacing face? I'm the same way with black coffee. It's way too bitter. But I like herbal tea and other kinds of tea.

Back
Top Bottom