Old Cooks’ Tales

Yes, exactly, a grimacing face, thanks.
We actually use that word a grimace, as is, in Croatian. I had no idea it was a proper English word, rather French, I reckoned?

Probably internationalized.đź‘Ť
Yes, it's been common in American English for a very long time and I assume in "proper" English as well. "We" have stolen many words from other languages!

Both my Grandma and my Dad were teaching me to sharpen my knives on the bottom/up brim of a porcelain cup/saucer...

Few drops of water and back, forth...

Sometimes it works, other times not...

20240719_123750.jpg

"You need to cut an X in the bottom of your sprouts, otherwise they wont be tender"
Well of course, since most Brits 50 years ago cooked their Brussels for 3 weeks, I'm not surprised.
Mine? No X - 15-20 minutes, depending on the size :D

You can wash the peeled onion under cold water, and it won't make you tear as much.

You can cut the onion in a drafty room, to reduce tears.

Both are not from my family, but a 'ladies' magazine from who knows when...90s?

You can wash the peeled onion under cold water, and it won't make you tear as much.

Both are not from my family, but a 'ladies' magazine from who knows when...90s?
Interesting, because I always have rinsed peeled onions under water but I had never heard that. I think that might depend on the size of the onion though, because big onions will make me cry and little ones not so much.

I don't know how many onions I've cut up in the past 20 years, but I do remember doing 25 kgs for a Gala dinner in 2017. And yet, when I was in the UK in 2022, I bought some Norfolk onions and they had me streaming - and I only chopped 2 of them.
It might depend on the type of onion and where it was grown. No idea.

With respect to onions, I think it comes down to the person more than the onion - some people are genetically predisposed to be sensitive to whatever the chemical it is it gives off when cut - but maybe that’s a new cook’s tale. :laugh:

I’d always heard that as long as you didn’t cut into the root, you’d be ok, but I don’t think that’s true.

For the record, I don’t cry when cutting onions. Mosquitos also leave me alone. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom