The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
2:03 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is avocado and blades is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses avocado, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge, and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight, end of day Wednesday, 18th September UK time (GMT+1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

I’ve never eaten or prepared an avocado in any way whatsoever. The most involved I get with them is buying them, then it’s up to MrsT to have at it. I can’t even say what she does with them.

That means this will indeed be a challenge. I have no idea what to do…yet. Avocado soufflé? Avocado au gratin? Avocado pancakes?

I’ve never eaten or prepared an avocado in any way whatsoever. The most involved I get with them is buying them, then it’s up to MrsT to have at it. I can’t even say what she does with them.

That means this will indeed be a challenge. I have no idea what to do…yet. Avocado soufflé? Avocado au gratin? Avocado pancakes?
Time to consult with Mrs. T. :)

I remember you don't like them, but I'd figured you at least tasted one to come to that conclusion. How do you know that you don't like them if you've not eaten one?

All sound possible to me.

I’ve never eaten or prepared
That is quite all right, but it did catch me on surprise, possibly I was under the wrong impression that avocado toast and avocado in salads is a very popular combination in the Us.
I have some trouble finding a good avocado. I tend to pick underripe or off avocados...
School restarts on Sep 9th and with all going on, I have no idea if I can have a go for the challenge...although I'd love to.

My daughter loves guacamole on toast, and does it really well herself.

I remember you don't like them, but I'd figured you at least tasted one to come to that conclusion. How do you know that you don't like them if you've not eaten one?
Slippery to touch for one I expect. I don't like that about them either. I also find the mouthfeel a little too soft, cloying and fatty. Perfect for baby weaning. Sorry. I'm not selling this!

But I can eat them, in particular if they are paired with salty, sharp, acidic or bitter tastes. And some spice...

Slippery to touch for one I expect. I don't like that about them either. I also find the mouthfeel a little too soft, cloying and fatty. Perfect for baby weaning. Sorry. I'm not selling this!

But I can eat them, in particular if they are paired with salty, sharp, acidic or bitter tastes. And some spice...
I love them just with a little salt, love the texture just fine.

That is quite all right, but it did catch me on surprise, possibly I was under the wrong impression that avocado toast and avocado in salads is a very popular combination in the Us.
I have some trouble finding a good avocado. I tend to pick underripe or off avocados...
School restarts on Sep 9th and with all going on, I have no idea if I can have a go for the challenge...although I'd love to.

My daughter loves guacamole on toast, and does it really well herself.
No, your impression was correct. Many people, especially of younger generations, love avocados and I know my daughters all love avocado spread on toast. They like guacamole with tortilla chips but I suppose they would eat it on toast, too.

Back
Top Bottom