The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

See, when it comes to something new, I have to have a reason to think I might like it before I’ll risk eating something I won’t like. I’m not willing to chance eating something I potentially won’t like, because it’ll ruin me for the rest of the day. I’d have a hard time getting over or past it.
I've never tried them, but I'd never eat brains unless I was literally starving to death. So I get it.

But, avocado on toast is generally not guacamole, just ripe avocado mashed with maybe salt and pepper, sometimes a bit of lime juice, and spread on toast. I like to top mine with Dukkah.
Oh yes. Thank you. I knew guacamole was a different dish/approach, than avocado on toast.

I'll definitely try your approach in my next avocado buy. Thank you. I did not practice the refridgerating part. Maybe that will help.
I also was confused by dots, speckles on the skin, that developed after sitting on the countertop...but mainly I had to like the taste, being mostly neutral,and colour,yellowish, green mostly...

Does anyone use one of these things?

View attachment 117686

View attachment 117687
First, you cut open the avocado and separate the halves, then you push those three slightly dull blades into the pit and give it a twist to remove that.

Then, you can drag the slicing end through the flesh, and it pops right out, in nice little slices.

I bought that for MrsT, after she decided to start eating avocados (I think they’re low WW points?), and there was no way I was going to cut them up, and she loves it, says it works very well.
Yes, I have that one. I like using it.

Does anyone use one of these things?

View attachment 117686

View attachment 117687
First, you cut open the avocado and separate the halves, then you push those three slightly dull blades into the pit and give it a twist to remove that.

Then, you can drag the slicing end through the flesh, and it pops right out, in nice little slices.

I bought that for MrsT, after she decided to start eating avocados (I think they’re low WW points?), and there was no way I was going to cut them up, and she loves it, says it works very well.
That should work well. I just cut around the pit with a knife, twist the halves apart. push the knife into the pit and twist it out. Then I work the peel off with my thumb and fingers. What is left is the meat which I can slice up any way I choose, lengthwise or widthwise. I can make ths slices thin or thick. Next time you cut one in half just remove the pit, leave it unpeeled, fiill the depression with salt, vinegar and olive oil. Then you can spoon it out for a snack. Delicious.

As I mentioned in another post, Venezuela has 7 - 8 varieties of avocado, and not one of them is Haas, which personally, I consider below par.
The best avocado here is called Catalina. Pear-shaped, with an elongated neck, the flesh is creamy and sweet. There are others which are round, like the Carupano avocado; a slightly different flavour.
View attachment 117685
Then there are some varieties which are purple.
Once, on a trip to a seaside village called Choroní, we found some small avocadoes, about the size of a tennis ball. Something like 5 for $1. Once they'd ripened, they had to be eaten immediately. The flesh was thin, only about 1/2", but the flavour was cream and hazelnuts.
If you just want to see some of the varieties we've got here, take a look at Venezuelan Avocados
I think avocados are a tropical thing. Way more popular in Latin America than in the U.S. We had several varieties in Cuba as well. I don't think there is enough demand for the fruit in the U.S. to set up plantations in Florida or Hawaii. So we get California Haas variety. If you want sweet there is always the mamey.

I have some trouble finding a good avocado. I tend to pick underripe or off avocados...
Here are a few avocado facts, mostly from experience.
The avocado is a fruit which doesn't ripen on the tree; it ripens once it's fallen or been picked. If you buy a firm avocado, then you can go to the extreme of putting it in a paper bag with a banana, which will hasten the ripening , wrap it in newspaper, or simply leave it in the fruit bowl for a few days. To tell if it's ripe, gently squeeze the bottom and, if it gives, then it's ready.
Place the avocado on a flat surface, put your hand flat on top and, with a sharp knife, cut all the way around the middle. Twist, and the two halves will separate. whack the stone (gently!) with the knife and you'll remove the stone/pit.
There's a kitchen myth that leaving the stone in your guacamole prevents it from darkening. Not true; the avocado will begin to oxidise and turn brown as soon as it's exposed to air - but it won't turn brown for a good while, so don't panic!
Full of fibre and vitamins B,C, E and K, the oil is also deemed to be beneficial because it's mostly monounsaturated oils (what ever that means).
Typically they're eaten cold/room temperature - not cooked, although there are some recipes out there which have been tried and tested. I've never tried them.

This recipe is ridiculously easy and extremely tasty. You can prepare it in about 10 minutes.Capressa Criolla ( Venezuelan style Capressa salad)
I used local avocados and a fresh, white cheese called queso guayanés, which is made in Bolivar state. It's soft and very similar to buffalo mozzarella. You could probably use Mexican queso fresco, but it's important that the cheese is soft.
You can fiddle about with this dish as much as you want; maybe use cilantro instead of basil, maybe add just a touch of red onion - whatever rocks your boat.

Capressa Criolla 001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think avocados are a tropical thing. Way more popular in Latin America than in the U.S. We had several varieties in Cuba as well. I don't think there is enough demand for the fruit in the U.S. to set up plantations in Florida or Hawaii. So we get California Haas variety. If you want sweet there is always the mamey.
No, we have avocado groves in Florida.

And, most of the Hass variety come from Mexico per an article I read a while back, from groves owned by the cartels. IIRC.

Last edited:
I have two avocados and maybe four recipes planned - one, someone has already alluded to, but I’m keeping my mouth shut about that. 🤐

One is another thing that requires I make an ingredient to use in the final dish. I’ll be starting on that shortly.

There's a kitchen myth that leaving the stone in your guacamole prevents it from darkening. Not true; the avocado will begin to oxidise and turn brown as soon as it's exposed to air - but it won't turn brown for a good while, so don't panic!
Full of fibre and vitamins B,C, E and K, the oil is also deemed to be beneficial because it's mostly monounsaturated oils (what ever that means).
Typically they're eaten cold/room temperature - not cooked, although there are some recipes out there which have been tried and tested. I've never tried them.
Pressing plastic wrap to the surface helps a little, with the whole fruit or something like guacamole. Also, you can usually scrape just the surface off and it will still be green underneath.

See my post about avocado fries earlier in this thread. They were just weird all around to me.

No, we have avocado groves in Florida.

And, most of the Hass variety come from Mexico per an article I read a while back, from groves owned by the cartels. IIRC.
Are there Florida avocados other than the Haas variety?

Pressing plastic wrap to the surface helps a little, with the whole fruit or something like guacamole. Also, you can usually scrape just the surface off and it will still be green underneath.

See my post about avocado fries earlier in this thread. They were just weird all around to me.
Yes, and I also have some powder "Fruit-Fresh" (citric acid base) that works well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom