The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

I use lemon or lime juice, or a little (balsemic) to prevent browning
If I plan to use 1/2 of an avocado, I put the other half with the pit in a freezer bag and put it in the refrigerator. When I want to use it, I remove the pit and cut a paper thin slice from the top before peeling it. The avocado half looks just fine after a day and maybe 2.

When I have half an avocado left over, I put it in a Tupperware container with a cut onion. It will stay green for a couple days this way, although I’m not familiar with the science behind it.

Are there Florida avocados other than the Haas variety?
Lots. Haas aren't really grown here, the smooth skinned types are.

There's one variety that is so good but I can never remember the name. We rented a home for about a year while our new house was being built back in the early 1990s and there were several citrus trees and an avocado tree. The avocados turned a brick red color when fully ripe. Creamy, buttery, rich flavor. I really miss that tree.

The first component of my first recipe:

IMG_9157.jpeg

Pickled mustard seeds - seeds are simmered to tenderize them, then a separate pickling brine is prepared and poured over the cooked seeds.

I must say, I’ve never cooked mustard seeds before, so this challenge has already gotten me into uncharted territory.

Planning on the finished dish tomorrow, as long as my avocados cooperate.

Lots. Haas aren't really grown here, the smooth skinned types are.

There's one variety that is so good but I can never remember the name. We rented a home for about a year while our new house was being built back in the early 1990s and there were several citrus trees and an avocado tree. The avocados turned a brick red color when fully ripe. Creamy, buttery, rich flavor. I really miss that tree.
I'd like to buy some. Is there a source?

I'd like to buy some. Is there a source?

I would google "where to buy Florida avocados" and check reviews. Not sure what's in season now, but different varieties have ripe fruit at different times. The trees we've had didn't have ripe fruit until October and November.

I would google "where to buy Florida avocados" and check reviews. Not sure what's in season now, but different varieties have ripe fruit at different times. The trees we've had didn't have ripe fruit until October and November.
It wasn't tricky. I placed an order for an 8-10 lb box of avocados from Sleepy Lizard Avocado Farm. I couldn't resist the name of the place. i don't know how many I will get or the variety. The number depends on how many fit in the box and the variety is whatever is ready to go at the moment. So it is a mysterious purchase. I'll report back when they arrive. I wonder if you can freeze avocados. I've never tried but I may have to try with some of this shipment.

I wonder if you can freeze avocados. I've never tried but I may have to try with some of this shipment.
You can. I have a friend we used to give avocados. She would let them ripen, scoop out the flesh, mix with S and P and a little lime juice, then freeze in mounds, then bag once they freeze hard. She loved her avocado toast, crackers bagels, and guacamole.

You could probably also put a bunch in a quart bag, flatten, freeze, and then break off what you want to use.

You aren't going to be able to have chunks or slices, too much water in avocados and cell membranes burst.

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - Avocado Salad with Pickled Mustard Seeds and Oregano Vinaigrette

Apart from my lack of fanning ability, this came together pretty easily. What drew me to it was the pickled mustard seed - that was new to me.

Now, I can’t comment on this, as I didn’t eat it. MrsT, however, did like it, and quite a lot. She would have gladly had more, had I poorly fanned out a second half. She particularly liked the mustard seeds, and asked if I’d make this again, as she’s always looking for new ways to have avocado.

Ok, I was supposed to show a second entry, a California BLT, which called for tarragon mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sprouts (as in alfalfa/broccoli/etc), and avocado, along with a little weave of bacon.

Pics looked great in the cookbook, but when I got to the actual avocados (I had two), both were more brown than green, and the best I could manage was a barely decent half out of two avocados.

I may try again with it before the challenge ends, simply because I enjoyed weaving the bacon! :laugh:

Ok, I was supposed to show a second entry, a California BLT, which called for tarragon mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, sprouts (as in alfalfa/broccoli/etc), and avocado, along with a little weave of bacon.

Pics looked great in the cookbook, but when I got to the actual avocados (I had two), both were more brown than green, and the best I could manage was a barely decent half out of two avocados.

I may try again with it before the challenge ends, simply because I enjoyed weaving the bacon! :laugh:
I actually love that idea. Please do! Tarragon-mayo with the avo and other ingredients sounds so great, droolworthy!

Back
Top Bottom