The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

I actually love that idea. Please do! Tarragon-mayo with the avo and other ingredients sounds so great, droolworthy!
We had the tarragon mayonnaise with our regular BLTs, and MrsT immediately mentioned that the mayonnaise (which has lemon in it) was a little too sharp for the sandwich as it was made, but if it had included the avocado, it would have been perfect.

We had the tarragon mayonnaise with our regular BLTs, and MrsT immediately mentioned that the mayonnaise (which has lemon in it) was a little too sharp for the sandwich as it was made, but if it had included the avocado, it would have been perfect.
I may try your blat sandwich (or a bloat LOL). I have never done weaved bacon before, but the idea sounds great (and neat on a sandwich). Did you use half slices of bacon?

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - Avocado Salad with Pickled Mustard Seeds and Oregano Vinaigrette

Apart from my lack of fanning ability, this came together pretty easily. What drew me to it was the pickled mustard seed - that was new to me.

Now, I can’t comment on this, as I didn’t eat it. MrsT, however, did like it, and quite a lot. She would have gladly had more, had I poorly fanned out a second half. She particularly liked the mustard seeds, and asked if I’d make this again, as she’s always looking for new ways to have avocado.

I think it looks lovely without 'fanning'. Did you not even try a taste of it?

Obviously not an entry, but since we’re on the topic, here’s the avocado toast my millennial self had for breakfast this morning:
IMG_9893.jpeg

Fresh tomatoes from the garden are the best addition!

Here’s my first one:

Recipe - Avocado Salad with Pickled Mustard Seeds and Oregano Vinaigrette

Apart from my lack of fanning ability, this came together pretty easily. What drew me to it was the pickled mustard seed - that was new to me.

Now, I can’t comment on this, as I didn’t eat it. MrsT, however, did like it, and quite a lot. She would have gladly had more, had I poorly fanned out a second half. She particularly liked the mustard seeds, and asked if I’d make this again, as she’s always looking for new ways to have avocado.

It looks terrific. I'm disappointed that you didn't have one yourself but I'll take Mrs T's opinion.

I call mine an avocado BLT and make it fairly often. It is just a BLT with onion, avocado and gruyere cheese added. We put it in the panini press and bake it until the cheese has melted. It is gooey, tasty and satisfying.

Last edited:
it gives, then it's ready.
Yep, all very true. Didn't know about the plus banana wrap to ripen...
I had failed the last 3 buys of avocado,although I did all of the above.
It might have just been a bad batch.

We had some lovely avocados in the past.

Just today I went to fetch some greens, and looked and touched the avocados, wasn't entirely convinced...so will try next week...

Thank you!

On Wednesday, I pruned the oregano bush. Had loads of the herb so I put it into little bags and gave it away to the neighbours. One lady brought me a lovely avocado and another, a bag full of passion fruit.
The avocado was perfectly ripe today so I thought I'd better do something with it. I thought of a creamy vinaigrette, but then decided I didn't want to use mayo or yoghurt, so I used passion fruit.
Avocado Salad with grilled vegetables and passion fruit vinaigrette
This was divine, even though I made it myself :D the grilled vegetables added a tiny bit of smoky flavour and the fruit vinaigrette offset the buttery flavour of the avocado. The sunflower seeds added an interesting bit of texture.
I placed half the avocado in the middle of the plate, but you can see in the 2nd photo that it was perfectly ripe.
Avocado with passion fruit vinaigrette.jpg
Avocado cut.jpg

Back
Top Bottom