The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Maybe we have poor quality over here but quite frankly any I have tried have been horrible and bland, so I will watch this with interest.

Avocados are quite bland. They have a mild taste. I wasn't joking when I said baby weening food earlier. Babies usually like it because its mild. There isn't much to dislike about the taste but the texture, whilst loved by most, is disliked by some.

I saw a brownie recipe that had avocado in the batter...I guess it makes it healthier?
Yeah, I know avocado gets used a lot in “healthier” baking, used to replace more traditional fats, I think.

My package arrived from the Sleepy Lizard Avocado Farm.
avocados.jpg

So the mystery is solved. I got six avocados and the variety is one they call Miguel. The one at the top left of the image weighs in at just under 2 lbs. They are huge. I really wanted to cut one open but they aren't ready yet. Still too hard. The cost was $40 shipping included. so each fruit was $6.66. Since they are 2 or 3 times the weight of a Haas avocado - maybe more, the price was actually pretty reasonable. I may be able to use one in about a week and I'll let you know. I'll put one to use and freeze the remaining 5 for future use.

Last edited:
Avocados are quite bland. They have a mild taste. I wasn't joking when I said baby weening food earlier. Babies usually like it because its mild. There isn't much to dislike about the taste but the texture, whilst loved by most, is disliked by some.
Yes. They need to be combined with other ingredients or seasonings. I often take a 1/2 avocado with the pit removed and fill the depression with salt, olive oil and vinegar. I spoon out the avocado like a baked potato. It's very nice. This brings out a nice flavor from the fruit. When I make avocado toast I usually add whatever salad dressing I have on hand to it. I put avocado in almost every tossed salad. I made a mexican style avocado omelette for brunch this morning. It stood up well to the hot salsa.

View attachment 117948
So the mystery is solved. I got six avocados and the variety is one they call Miguel. The one at the top left of the image weighs in at just under 2 lbs. They are huge. I really wanted to cut one open but they aren't ready yet. Still too hard. The cost was $40 shipping included. so each fruit was $6.66. Since they are 2 or 3 times the weight of a Haas avocado - maybe more, the price was actually pretty reasonable. I may be able to use one in about a week and I'll let you know. I'll put one to use and freeze the remaining 5 for future use.

I was wondering if you gotten them yet. They look nice.

View attachment 117948

They look like pears.

A new concept for me. I've never used avocados in a sweet dish. How did the avocado affect the flavor?
It didn’t, really. The chocolate is strongly flavoured enough that the avocado taste wasn’t detectable. The avocado was purely for texture, and I must say it did a great job as a thick, pudding-like base.

Good alternative for people who want a dessert that’s a bit healthier, or who are looking for a vegan pudding. I had another serving for breakfast this morning.

It didn’t, really. The chocolate is strongly flavoured enough that the avocado taste wasn’t detectable. The avocado was purely for texture, and I must say it did a great job as a thick, pudding-like base.

Good alternative for people who want a dessert that’s a bit healthier, or who are looking for a vegan pudding. I had another serving for breakfast this morning.
I see. Avocado does have a unique texture among the various fruits.

Back
Top Bottom