The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Recipe - Tequila chicken, avocado and burnt orange salad

fullsizeoutput_867f.jpeg

I've learned new things about avocados from you great cooks. I never thought of avocado as a thickener but I hadn't been exposed to the concept before. Very interesting.
I often use it instead of marg or butter on toast and top it with jam. You may have even seen that in the what did you eat threads... people think it's odd but it works really well and is far healthier in my opinion, than margarine (I can't have butter).

I often use it instead of marg or butter on toast and top it with jam. You may have even seen that in the what did you eat threads... people think it's odd but it works really well and is far healthier in my opinion, than margarine (I can't have butter).
I eat avocado toast from time to time. I add some salad dressing, cream the avocado then spread it on toast and top it with a hard fried egg. If you like strange snacks, I enjoy splitting a banana, giving the cut sides a light coat of mayo and then sprinkling a few nuts on top. It is probably my most common snack. I know it sounds strange but I've been eating it since childhood.

I eat avocado toast from time to time. I add some salad dressing, cream the avocado then spread it on toast and top it with a hard fried egg. If you like strange snacks, I enjoy splitting a banana, giving the cut sides a light coat of mayo and then sprinkling a few nuts on top. It is probably my most common snack. I know it sounds strange but I've been eating it since childhood.
Banana and pineapple are 2 fruit I can't eat. Even the smell of bananas has me retching :(
Both burn holes into my tongue, leaving avoid burns.

My package arrived from the Sleepy Lizard Avocado Farm.
View attachment 117948
So the mystery is solved. I got six avocados and the variety is one they call Miguel. The one at the top left of the image weighs in at just under 2 lbs. They are huge. I really wanted to cut one open but they aren't ready yet. Still too hard. The cost was $40 shipping included. so each fruit was $6.66. Since they are 2 or 3 times the weight of a Haas avocado - maybe more, the price was actually pretty reasonable. I may be able to use one in about a week and I'll let you know. I'll put one to use and freeze the remaining 5 for future use.
They finished ripening this morning. I cut them up, removed the pits and froze all but the largest one which is in the refrigerator. I ate 1/4 of it which was like eating an entire Haas avocado. My taste test revealed that they have lower fat and less flavor than the Haas. The quarter I ate had no detectable flavor other than the flavor of the vinaigrette. Tasted without the vinaigrette, it was pretty bland. The Haas, at least, will stand up to a vinaigrette. Avocado salad with dinner tonight and avocado omelettes for breakfast, and so on. Avocado soup anybody?:wink:

Last edited:
They finished ripening this morning. I cut them up, removed the pits and froze all but the largest one which is in the refrigerator. I ate 1/4 of it which was like eating an entire Haas avocado. My taste test revealed that they have lower fat and less flavor than the Haas. The quarter I ate had no detectable flavor other than the flavor of the vinaigrette. Tasted without the vinaigrette, it was pretty bland. The Haas, at least, will stand up to a vinaigrette. Avocado salad with dinner tonight and avocado omelettes for breakfast, and so on. Avocado soup anybody?:wink:
I was hoping that wasn't the case. I once bought an avocado that looked like that--huge, and it turned out to be a little watery and wasn't rich and creamy. It lacked the flavor that the small Hass do.

I have been waiting for my avocados to ripen and one of them should be ready by tomorrow. I have a few ideas of things that might help liven up your bland avocados.

I was hoping that wasn't the case. I once bought an avocado that looked like that--huge, and it turned out to be a little watery and wasn't rich and creamy. It lacked the flavor that the small Hass do.

I have been waiting for my avocados to ripen and one of them should be ready by tomorrow. I have a few ideas of things that might help liven up your bland avocados.
The texture was fine. I enjoyed eating it. I'm just not sure it is worth mail ordering such a box just to freeze them. The most popular variety from this farm is the Russel which looks like a giant green pear. Maybe I'll try to get some of those in when they become available.

Last edited:
Well I have a new wok and a substantial stock of huge avocados so I put them together to make a chicken and avocado stir fry on spaghetti. Or maybe it is a chicken and avocado pasta salad. Perhaps a Chinese/Italian fusion dish. At any rate it is an Asian chicken vegetable stir fry on spaghetti sauced with a vinaigrette and topped with big chunks of Florida avocado. This plate fed both of us. The wok worked just fine, needing no seasoning and cleaning up easily.

stirfry.jpg

Well I have a new wok and a substantial stock of huge avocados so I put them together to make a chicken and avocado stir fry on spaghetti. Or maybe it is a chicken and avocado pasta salad. Perhaps a Chinese/Italian fusion dish. At any rate it is an Asian chicken vegetable stir fry on spaghetti sauced with a vinaigrette and topped with big chunks of Florida avocado. This plate fed both of us. The wok worked just fine, needing no seasoning and cleaning up easily.

View attachment 118127
Beautiful. Lots of veggies. Do I see Bok choy, snow peas, onion, chicken, red pepper, noodles and avocado? Can’t wait to see the recipe

Beautiful. Lots of veggies. Do I see Bok choy, snow peas, onion, chicken, red pepper, noodles and avocado? Can’t wait to see the recipe
Close. What you called bok choy is a subspecies of the same plant as bok choy called napa cabbage or chinese cabbage. The dish was tasty and filling. Thanks for the comment. I wasn't planning a recipe. I can't contribute to the challenge since is my challenge.

Back
Top Bottom