The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Bad news. I followed my advice on freezing avocados that I got from the internet. I defrosted the first one and the avocado has turned to mush.
Don't worry. You tried it, it didn't work, and that's it. At least you tried.
Personally I don't think avocados should ever be frozen and I don't think they're any good when cooked, but that's just me.

Don't worry. You tried it, it didn't work, and that's it. At least you tried.
Personally I don't think avocados should ever be frozen and I don't think they're any good when cooked, but that's just me.

The big problem with cooking them is they lose any flavour they had in the first place. That is why they work well in cakes. You can't taste them! You can cook avocados briefly or by charring the edges on a grill, again briefly. But longer cooking takes away the flavour. I know this because I have spent several hours trying out different cooking methods for this challenge!

I think they can be OK for that. They just won't need to be mashed. I'm making soup with one of them today. Next week I'll make a batch of avocado salsa.
Avocado Salsa? VERY interested in that recipe.

Ok. I usually mix my salsa and guacamole together before dipping my chips. So basically the same thing.

Are they too mushy to make guacamole?

I am trying this recipe right now using mashed avocado because I am going to take it a bit further using additional ingredients to make guacamole chips if it works out. I just put one single chip in the oven to test it to see if I need to add more cheese or anything else before baking the rest of the batch.
Baked Avocado Chips

Well it worked pretty well but I think 20 minutes at 325F (the author suggested 15 minutes) for the 1st side and 5 minutes after flipping (she suggested 2-3 minutes) would work better. The one in the photo below wasn't quite crisp but tasted really good. I think results will vary depending on people's oven temperatures. I added a bit more cheese and a pinch of salt to the mixture after baking the 1st one.

View attachment 118161View attachment 118162

I just started the remaining crisps (going with the 20/5 minutes baking times). Also she wrote that 2 half sheets would be needed but I got them on 1 baking sheet with room to spare.

Now I know how to go about with my guacamole chips with my next avocado (probably Thursday). I plan on slightly dehydrating the jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro before adding it to the mash and wondering if I can use a more authentic Mexican cheese (Cotijo) instead of Parmesan, or perhaps a mixture of both.
A fun project. Looks nice. For crispy make it thinner.

Back
Top Bottom