The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

I like them, and they're fine, but I've never understood why a lot of people are obsessed with them? I can only eat them with kosher salt , fresh squeezed lime juice and a leaf of cilantro.

I like them, and they're fine, but I've never understood why a lot of people are obsessed with them? I can only eat them with kosher salt , fresh squeezed lime juice and a leaf of cilantro.
Maybe it's because of the nutritional benefits? I really like them but I'm hardly obsessed.

JAS mentioned that she didn't know how I made avocado salsa so I decided to make enchiladas for dinner as a reason to make the salsa.
salsaverde.jpg

You can find the recipe here. You can see it peeking through the cheese on my enchiladas which are ready for the oven.
enchiladas.jpg

Last edited:
JAS mentioned that she didn't know how I made avocado salsa so I decided to make enchiladas for dinner as a reason to make the salsa.
View attachment 118266
You can find the recipe here. You can see it peaking through the cheese on my enchiladas which are ready for the oven.
View attachment 118267
You are mistaken, that was someone else.

Edit: I misread your post. You're right, I didn't know how you made yours. I make it differently.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculously easy recipe, to be honest, and probably only takes 15 minutes to prepare and cook (while you're boiling the water for the pasta).
Farfalle with Salmon and Avocado
It's a take on a restaurant dish I had some 25 years ago so I can't remember exactly what was in it. Occasionally I get an offer for a whole side of fresh salmon, and I cut it into "steaks", but there's always a little bit left over. That is exactly what I used today.
The other thing that is important is to add the avocado at the last minute. I really don't think cooked avocado works.
salmon and avocado pasta.jpg

I'm happy to report I appear to have won this challenge. A spectacular achievement against all odds considering I've not made an entry. I'd like to thank my fans, my family and my manager for their tireless support behind the scenes in making this epic win possible, I'm eternally grateful to everyone who helped make this happen, from the bottom of my heart thankyou.

1725784277753.png

I'm happy to report I appear to have won this challenge. A spectacular achievement against all odds considering I've not made an entry. I'd like to thank my fans, my family and my manager for their tireless support behind the scenes in making this epic win possible, I'm eternally grateful to everyone who helped make this happen, from the bottom of my heart thankyou.

View attachment 118304
Oops, sorry about that. I accidentally changed your permissions this morning whilst doing some work on CB whilst hubby was driving to Cowra today. I've just reset them to what they should actually be... let me know by pm if you think you've not got access to something you should have...

Another one:

Recipe - Air-Fried Baja Fish Tacos

MrsT’s first reaction when I handed her her plate was, “I don’t even know who you are anymore!” - fish and avocado?! I’ve obviously been body-snatched by aliens.

MrsT absolutely loved this, probably because I never make anything like it. Her exact words were…well, they were just overly-enthusiastic eating sounds, as she gobbled these right down.

I can attest that the fish does come out very nicely done - sort of like a more flavorful fish stick/finger. The supermarket cod is pleasantly bland, just like it should be AFAIC, and the coating comes out crisp and delicately spiced.

I’ll likely make these again at some point. I still have fish in the freezer I’ve got to deal with.

IMG_9307.jpeg
IMG_9308.jpeg

I've learned new things about avocados from you great cooks. I never thought of avocado as a thickener but I hadn't been exposed to the concept before. Very interesting.
You should try this with some of your avocados. It won a garlic challenge so couldn't use it for this one, but it was great.

Recipe - Green garlic and avocado pesto

The texture was fine. I enjoyed eating it. I'm just not sure it is worth mail ordering such a box just to freeze them. The most popular variety from this farm is the Russel which looks like a giant green pear. Maybe I'll try to get some of those in when they become available.
Yeah, I didn't want to say anything because i was hoping they would be great, but I was afraid of that. They look like the same size and shape we get at the grocery, and there's a reason I buy the Haas.

Bad news. I followed my advice on freezing avocados that I got from the internet. I defrosted the first one and the avocado has turned to mush. They are all useless now except for soup or maybe avocado salsa. Sorry I posted the information. I will try to delete it.

It's the nature of the fruit. I mentioned that in

The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Oops, sorry about that. I accidentally changed your permissions this morning whilst doing some work on CB whilst hubby was driving to Cowra today. I've just reset them to what they should actually be... let me know by pm if you think you've not got access to something you should have...
No worries, happy to take my wins from anywhere 😆

Back
Top Bottom