The CookingBites recipe challenge: avocado

Are they too mushy to make guacamole?

I am trying this recipe right now using mashed avocado because I am going to take it a bit further using additional ingredients to make guacamole chips if it works out. I just put one single chip in the oven to test it to see if I need to add more cheese or anything else before baking the rest of the batch.
Baked Avocado Chips

Well it worked pretty well but I think 20 minutes at 325F (the author suggested 15 minutes) for the 1st side and 5 minutes after flipping (she suggested 2-3 minutes) would work better. The one in the photo below wasn't quite crisp but tasted really good. I think results will vary depending on people's oven temperatures. I added a bit more cheese and a pinch of salt to the mixture after baking the 1st one.

View attachment 118161View attachment 118162

I just started the remaining crisps (going with the 20/5 minutes baking times). Also she wrote that 2 half sheets would be needed but I got them on 1 baking sheet with room to spare.

Now I know how to go about with my guacamole chips with my next avocado (probably Thursday). I plan on slightly dehydrating the jalapeno, red onion, and cilantro before adding it to the mash and wondering if I can use a more authentic Mexican cheese (Cotijo) instead of Parmesan, or perhaps a mixture of both.
Well I scrapped that idea in favor of another that I think will work much better (at least in my mind it does, LOL), and I have two other ideas, but since they are all original recipes it's going to take some time and thought to execute them. I think I can get one of them done before the end of the week, but work and life have a way of interfering with my plans, and we are going out of town on the morning of the deadline of Friday so just not sure if any of them will happen. Where does the time go?

IMG_4325.jpeg

Avocado Arepas. Not terribly sophisticated, but tasty and easy to make.

Last edited:
With all due respect, an arepa is generally made with white pre-cooked cornmeal, which is not nixtmalized (as in masa harina). In some parts of Western Venezuela (and over the border in Colombia), arepas are made with wheat flour, and called arepa Andina ( from the mountains) . Typically, we'd use Harina PAN or Harina de Maiz Blanca (white cornmeal) .

1725903583503.png

Arepas are usually thicker as well, so there's some substance to the "bread" and it can be split and filled.
Your version looks interesting ( and quick) and I like the way you make your guacamole - very similar to my next entry!

Here's my next entry. Nothing particularly extraordinary, but I had half an avocado left over and thought I might as well use it. This is the Venezuelan version of guacamole: Guasacaca
The difference, perhaps, is the use of vinegar instead of lime juice, a slightly thinner texture and the ají dulce (sweet chile) . The picture does not do it justice, mainly because my blender gave up the ghost and I had to mash it with a fork!
Guasacaca 2.jpg

Well we three are going in similar directions here. I am going to make my guacamole, then pulverize some tortilla chips and coat guacamole patties in the "breading" and fry in them in avocado oil. I was waiting forever for my avocados to ripen and then some other stuff came up (mostly work related) but I think I can finally get to it today.

Here's my next entry. Nothing particularly extraordinary, but I had half an avocado left over and thought I might as well use it. This is the Venezuelan version of guacamole: Guasacaca
The difference, perhaps, is the use of vinegar instead of lime juice, a slightly thinner texture and the ají dulce (sweet chile) . The picture does not do it justice, mainly because my blender gave up the ghost and I had to mash it with a fork!
View attachment 118386
I think hand mashed improves the texture.

Back
Top Bottom